ID of fruit/tree please.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi, does anyone know what this fruit is please, growing wild on the roadside, the red fruit is off different trees to the the yellow fruit which are growing alongside each other but while the fruit is different the trees look the same, the red fruit are about cherry-tomato size and the yellow ones slightly smaller, the red ones really juicy and sweet the yellow ones less juicy, they have a smallish stone in the centre and resemble a small round plum, the trees are literally dripping with hundreds of them, and they are delicious to eat, anyone know what they are. Thanks.

1-1.jpg

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
A bit too late asking now if you have eaten some :lmao: :lmao:

Seriously though -

I found the exact two types of tree also, Plums were the general consensus from ID books.

I picked them and sterilised them in Sugar and Gin just to be safe - Roll on November:D

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Joonsy, have at look at this thread I posted recently, they are in abundance near me.

Hi Mang - In Richard Mabey's Food For Free book (the large seasonal paperback not the usual pocket-size guide) he describes the damson as a cultivated species of the wild native bullace but says they are indistinguishable, he also decribes a fruit called ''Greengage'' which is apparently a yellow damson if i read it correctly. There are some trees near me that grow yellow fruit and look and taste excactly like damson so i presume they are the greengage he refers to. Loads of damson/bullace grows around here though they are not ripe yet, the fruit in my photo i haven't come across before but it was clearly different from damson, it tasted nicer (i find damsons a little tart unless well ripe) and is ripe for picking now long before damsons are ready. Though i found yellow and red fruit growing on seperate trees the trees looked the same though the red fruit was a bit nicer to taste and sligltly bigger. The cherry-plum is not in same book but is in his pocket book, it is described as a distinct species of it's own not being a cross or variant of anything but a distinct species, the description cherry-plum fits the photo of fruit i found, and it does indeed say it is ripe earlier than damson. Really nice to eat, a big harvest of them here with the trees dripping with hundreds of them

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE