Ice Packs - portable ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi Scots, how did the cool packs work? do they keep stuff cool for very long? In my experience of using them for sports injurys they dont last long but I was wondering if they worked longer i conjunction with a cool bag or something similar?
Cheers
Steve

T

TheFirstAidSupplier

Most instant cold packs claim 'up to 20 minutes'. They may be colder than room temperature for that long but they will be at their coldest as soon as they are activated then slowly returning to room temp over that period.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
According to the ingredients on the one we have in the scouts' first aid kit its just a bandage soaked in some volatile alcohol (isopropyl I believe)

Presumably it just works by evaporative cooling

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
According to the ingredients on the one we have in the scouts' first aid kit its just a bandage soaked in some volatile alcohol (isopropyl I believe)

Presumably it just works by evaporative cooling
Not the ones in my first aid kit.. It's a bag of liquid with another 'bag' of different liquid inside it that you rupture without puncturing the outer bag so the 2 chemicals mix and cause a cooling effect by some kind of chemical reaction

Last edited:

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Hi Scots, how did the cool packs work? do they keep stuff cool for very long? In my experience of using them for sports injurys they dont last long but I was wondering if they worked longer i conjunction with a cool bag or something similar?
Cheers
Steve

As a cautious but enthusiastic Outdoor Learning, Climbing and Canoeing teacher I have not had to use them yet with a class !

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE