I was gifted a burl.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I was gifted a burl or two by PeterT at the Sussex meet over the weekend.
I cut the burl in half and with the smaller half I carved this kuksa yesterday afternoon.
It needs to dry out before I oil it, I am pleased with how it turned out, I think it is beech wood, thanks for looking, it was fun carving it. Thanks Peter I owe you one mate.
kuksa001.jpg

kuksa002.jpg

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
Hugo that looks very nice, how thin did you carved the kuska and what sort of oil are you putting on the finishing product, I would love to have a burl or a kuska, thanks for sharing, cheers the interceptor boy.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Ah birch wood, thanks Peter mate, I still have the other half of this one, it's deeper and wider but just a tad shorter.
Left it in a plastic bag along with a few mates and some wet shavings, as I have a few knives to make up first.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I carved as deep as I could go as the underside is not uniform.
I will oil it with walnut oil I think, mind you I have some other oils in stock so will see later on.
Why don't you have a go at carving one yourself if you want one.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Thanks guys, I would have never made a kuksa if I had not found this fine forum and the most gifted people who frequent it sharing there expertise.
Since I have been on the forum I have put myself up to try and do as much craft as I can.
This includes carving spoons Kuksas ladles axe handles and plenty of other handles, knife building tarp making a bit of fettling on the anvil and most pleasurable, getting out and about meeting other members at camp in the Ashdown forest.
So thanks to you guys for the inspiration. I take my hat of to you all. :You_Rock_

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Nice work Hugo, go for the lightest oil you can.
Grapeseed's a good one, then it wont darken too much once cured and you shall keep all that burry glory. Birch burrs my favourite for the small faces where the small knots are and the marbling inbetween

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Cheers addo mate.
I will make it's brother soon from the same burl as it came from a piece of wood in a figure of eight.

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
that looks really nice Hugo and that grain will look fantastic when oiled. Still waiting to bust my kuksa cherry, got the Easter break coming up, a lump of poplar in the yard and with the inspiration on the forum I've no excuses :)

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Thanks guys, I made the brother to this one yesterday, it has a shorter handle than this one, I was going for the tooled finish but in the end the 2000 grit was calling to me, I could not resist.
When oiled they will both be nice I reckon.
Mrs Hugo wants one for display, the other will be my user at camp.
@ Kodiakjoe, get working on that poplar and show us when it is finished, remember a sharp tool is an easy tool to work with.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE