I ordered a new sharpening stone and couldn't help but pick up a WildFinn Puukko...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
... This was beneficial in two ways; 1) I am soon to recieve what looks to be a positively smashing tool, and 2) I now can't afford any food so my hunter-gatherer skills should improve considerably! :eek:):

This'll be my first scandi knife and my first carbon steel blade so when I recieve the knife I'll be sure to put it through it's paces and post my findings here!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Rhapsody, that is a wonderful knife. I keep mine in my dayhike pack. I modified mine just a bit.

kellampuukko1b.jpg

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Wow, you did a great job with that knife, Hoodoo! I liked the look of the handle as it was (most puukkos seem to just have a plain barrel shaped one), but I didn't want one that was too contoured because I have quite large hands. Nice work, my one was dispatched today!

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I have one of the curly birch Kellam puukkos and it gets used for bushcrafty stuff and almost every kitchen task too. It takes and holds an edge well and is just so user friendly it's untrue. I'm sure you will be really happy with it. I've recently ordered an allan blade job, but it will have to be special to beat the puukko.

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
I recieved the knife today! :super: Great service from Heinnie!

It's a really nice looking tool, razor sharp straight from the box, feels amazingly comfortable in the hand and the sheath is gorgeous. I won't be able to take it out for testing until the weekend, but I'll be sure to post lots of pics!

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Yeah, I went out to test it today but my camera had no battery power! Arrr... that's really one of those things I should've checked beforehand :nono:.

Anyway, the knife was brilliant. I went out with the intention of whittling myself a spoon, but instead decided to carve a bowdrill set and have yet another go at fire by friction, thinking that this would be both a better all round test and another opportunity to try for primitive flames!

Anyway, after walking around for a fair while, the best bit of would I could find was a birch branch snagged up in a tree, so that'd have to do. The Wildfinn easily split the two and a half inch thick log down its entire two foot length (with the aid of a nice bit of rock, that is) and carving the fire set into shape was, quite simply, effortless; this is by far the best utility knive I've ever used for whittling, and is most definitely a huge improvement on my bulky F1.

Speaking of the F1, using this new puukko illustrated just how much I was falling back on the small blade of my Leatherman Wave for intricate work in the past; with the Wildfinn the only use I had for that trusty old tool was for its saw. This little Finnish knife really does have it all; I can finally see why people are so obsessed with these things! It's up to every chore that I'd put my F1 to in the past, light enough to comfortably wear around my neck, and, even though I'd not taken the tiny secondary bevel of the blade yet, exellent for carving wood. I've yet to go on a proper camp with this knife, but I'm sure it'll be up to any food preparation I want it for (I can already tell you it makes a mean cheese sandwich!), although the F1 still looks more useful for butchering and skinning game (but I've yet to test this out myself).

After half a day of using this knife for various whittling, splitting and cutting chores, I can end this short reviewlet by telling you that this thing is unbelievably friendly. The contours of the handle were such that not once was I afraid that my hand would slip onto the blade and that after quite a bit of use, my hands weren't feeling at all the worse for wear... and that's something I could never have said about that heavy, nasty-handled Fallkniven!

Anyway, that's about it for today! This knife will definitely be dangling by my side on all woodland excursions from now on as it's a real pleasure to use and that carbon steel blade is up to pretty much anything... and yes; after all that cutting, battoning and carving it's still shaving-sharp. Great stuff, worth many times more than they're charging for it.

Sorry there are no pics, but I'll definitely be going on an overnight camp after my current exam period is over and I'll be sure to get some then.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Very nice review. I actually bought two of those. Gave one to a friend as a present and he refuses to use it because he sez it's too nice. :lol:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE