I met a hedgehog

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Last night I was out in the garden around midnight (as you do) when I heard some snuffling and saw something slink into the undergrowth. The torch soon outlined a hedgehog looking boldly back at me.

Now, to many this is nothing. But the last time I met one in my garden was probably over 10 years ago. The London population has I think seriously declined. I have had an over wintering hedgehog box in my garden for about 5 years but when I check it in the winter it is never occupied.

A warm welcome mate, bring on the family!

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
Richard

I think they have all moved up to the Western Isles where they are now being removed or culled. They have no natural predators there and are reputedly to blame for the Tern population crash after developing a taste for their eggs.

Not such a warm welcome up there mate.

My sister loves them in her garden but many of the conservationists hate them being there.

Bit of a prickly topic you could say:D

George

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
We have one that regularly patrols our garden. I often go down the bottom of the garden at dusk and sit in my little bushcraft playground (gets me away from the TV in the house). Most nights you can hear the hedgehog rustling in the undergrowth and see him/her go on patrol.

Not too many years ago there were two babies, so we'd see the mother and two little ones wandering around.

Earlier this year I was clearing one of the borders and accidentally uncovered a hedgehog which curled into a ball and then started hissing. I've never come across this before and it was really quite unnerving at the time.

One of my cats is intrigued by the hedgehog, but the other cat and the hedgehog ignore each other.

Geoff

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Last week we accidentally left one of the dogs bowls outside at night. At about 11pm we heard it clanking and upon shining a torch outside saw a hedgehog trundling off a bit miffed at the noise it had made. The first time we've seen on in our garden. Though we get all sorts of other stuff.

Was pretty cool.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE