I made a T spoon

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Well thats T for Tamsin as my other half wanted something she could use for eating soup and I wanted to have a little try at Kolrosing after seeing what Fraxinus did in his thread here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128192 I was insipred to try myself. I know I didnt do much but i didnt want to mess up an aready finished spoon.

I used silver birch wood, coffee granuales and sealed with walnut oil. that was all I had but I will try cinnamon next time and see if one is better than the other.
I actually found making a small spoon more difficult as the handle is so thin it is easy to take too much off or split it with the knife edge.
she likes it though and I suppose thats all that matters.

here is what I knocked up...

QUESTION: once sealed with walnut oil should it become water repellent? Do i need to re apply the oil till it is or will it always absorb water?
I put the oiled spoon in the oven for 3 minutes at 325F and oiled again when removed, is this enough?

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
It should be fine. Charles' Law dictates that as the heated wood air cools and contracts,
it sucks the finishing oil down into the wood, much further than any room temperature application.
I've carved lots of kitchen prep tools in birch (70 spoons, 30 forks). The ones that I've kept
for my own use are clean as a whistle after a couple of years use.
Hot water rinse on your lovely spoon shouls be all that's required.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Nice one mate,:) I gave the kuksa a wipe with hot water then sanded back the raised grain then 3 coats of oil that I warmed up and one cold. Will report back when I actually use it later today as to how well it holds up.

Rob.

Right so I made some proper coffee and poured it into my kuksa..... it started... erm er.... 'fizzing' ? Then the outside started sweating. I think the oil needed extra drying time so it has been given a brief dry out in the oven and re-oiled. The bowl has not been stained by the coffee so that is a positive attribute, will let it dry for a while then try again.

Last edited:

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Right so I made some proper coffee and poured it into my kuksa..... it started... erm er.... 'fizzing' ? Then the outside started sweating. I think the oil needed extra drying time so it has been given a brief dry out in the oven and re-oiled. The bowl has not been stained by the coffee so that is a positive attribute, will let it dry for a while then try again.

I don't think you are supposed to put boiling water in (if it was boiling) we have used my spalted birch serving spoon when roasting veg for a soup and it took the darkness out the tip of the oiled spoon but I just assume that is going to happen and over time it will absorb cooking fats and oils and become more resilient.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE