I have had a visit from the wood fairies!

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I got home last night to two 4 foot long branches of about 8" in diameter on my door step. My other half was home but said she didn't hear or see anything??? It must be fairies!

My sisters partner knows I want green wood but they live 25 miles away and I also have a customer at work that collected a chainsaw from my house about a year ago and he knew I wanted some wood but not sure if he remembered where I live and I haven't seen him for about 6 months???

The only other possibility is that I have a wood spirit on my doorstep and someone may have seen me working in my garage and thought I might appreciate it???

only time will tell I suppose. I don't even know what wood it is as I has no leaves. I will do some investigating, I am hoping its some walnut. It has a nice grain and has yellowish bark. It looks a bit dark on the ends which someone told me as soon as it touches something metal it darkens? (if that is true?)

I will update as soon as I know more!

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Laburnam is supposedly toxic, so avoid the dust etc. If it was mine, I would split and seal the ends (see other threads), and then season it somewhere cool and away from draughts. It makes lovely bows (would be my use) and/or other wooden articles such as knife scales and tool handles. It can also be very figured and the heartwood/sapwood contrast is very nice in finished pieces.

[edit] if you have any long-ish fairly knot free pieces left over (e.g half or quarter splits at least 3 feet long) then drop me a PM. Bracknell isnt that far from me (Walton on Thames)......:)

Last edited:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Metals, iron, reacts with the tannins in the wood to darken it.
The age-old brew of iron & vinegar produces iron acetate for staining woods with high tannin content such as the oaks.
For tannin-poor woods, try a bath in strong tea first.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE