I Have Got Addicted!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I have found a hobby as supplement to bushcraft and dog training.

KNIFE MAKING.... :shock: :eek:): I loved making my first knife in school and after that one here at home. Well that means actually two, cause the first handle was crap, so I made another one. But it was the same blade.

After X-mas, I'll buy 2 Trollungen blades with 52 mm blade and one Helle 'Viking' blade (to make a good carbon bushcraft knife, 96 mm.). The two Trollungen blades will be fine carvers, one for meself and one to give away or sell.

I've loaned 3 books on knifemaking and my spend after christmas on this subject will be around £50. :shock: That includes, drills, 3 pieces of handle wood and 3 blades. :biggthump :biggthump

Anyone else love making knives?

Greenpete

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2004
Oxfordshire
www.greenpete.co.uk
Hi!
I make the odd knife too.
I was on a Ray Mears course once when I first saw his design of blade but at the time they weren't available to buy so I went home and made one.
It doesn't look exactly like the Alan Woods knives but the blade is the same design.
There after I have made a few and taught people what I know and have also put the info on my web site www.greenpete.co.uk
I believe that knowledge should be freely available where at all possible!
Let me know if it is of any help.
All the best, Pete :wave:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I really like your knives, Greenpete. Especially the one in the front page of the knife making page. :wink:

hootchi

Settler
I think this is the one of nicest knives I have seen :super: (yew burl handle). It is absolutly exquisite. You should be proud to have taught someone to make one of those. I am considering making a knife when I get around to it, not at university, and will follow the instructions on that site.

Do you know how long that wood was seasoned for?
:You_Rock_

Greenpete

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2004
Oxfordshire
www.greenpete.co.uk
hootchi said:
I think this is the one of nicest knives I have seen :super: (yew burl handle). It is absolutly exquisite. You should be proud to have taught someone to make one of those. I am considering making a knife when I get around to it, not at university, and will follow the instructions on that site.

Do you know how long that wood was seasoned for?
:You_Rock_
As I remember not long enough as it was a begger for curling up with the heat of sanding on a belt sander! We made it in the woods outside my caravan as well which could have been a contributing factor to the wood curling.
Wood needs to be below 16% moisture really, if not drier.
The best way to dry wood from green is too air dry it outside for a year for every inch of thickness. At our sawmill we sometimes shorten that to a minimum of 6 months and then two weeks in a drying room that is about 20 deg' C and has a dehumidifier in to draw off the moisture from the air.
Pete

Greenpete

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2004
Oxfordshire
www.greenpete.co.uk
TheViking said:
I really like your knives, Greenpete. Especially the one in the front page of the knife making page. :wink:
Thanks!
The one in the picture I made for a friend that travels the world and visits me once in a while, he's a real Indiana Jones and a great inspiration to me!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE