I have an Idea, can anyone help me :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
Hi folks, for a while now I have been researching and toying with alternative energy, I want to make a wind/waterpower generator. (For topping up mobile phone running a small led lamp etc)
now from what I have seen you need a ruddy great fixed magnet motor just to get a few volts, so I left it on the back burner, Until today :naughty:.
Sorting through some junk under the stairs, I came across my push bike dynamo, and it got me thinking :confused: could this be used to make the turbine, to charge a 6v SLA battery and then use said battery to charge phone or run a lamp etc. So before I go hacking things apart, are there any electrically minded members here that could point me in the right direction ?
Cheers
Jono

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Most (but not all) bicycle dynamos output AC, so you can't use them to directly charge a battery. You need some sort of rectifying circuit to convert the AC to DC and moderate the voltage.

General Strike

Forager
May 22, 2013
United Kingdom
Old Sturmey Archer Hub dynamos are prized for building wind turbines with. if you are very lucky you can even find the old 12V ones from the 1930s sometimes. A bridge rectifier can be easily made from 4 diodes or you can buy the rectifier from Maplin. You shouldn't need to worry too much about regulation either - hub dynamos don't blow bulbs with the regularity that sidewall dynamos did, for reasons that I don't entirely understand.

If you can't find a Sturmey Archer at a good price, you can get a new Shimano hub dynamo for as little as 20 quid.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
watching this with interest!

something like this would be a great idea!

might be worth looking at a wind up torch as this will have similar tech i would imagine

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE