I have a question about Birch Sap

Mar 28, 2007
Leicestershire, England.
Hello there, My name is Rob, I am from Leicestershire England, and this is my first post. I have just started getting in to Bushcraft so am quite 'green' so I apologise if some of my quesitons might sound a little simplistic.

My question (as you may have quessed by the title) is about Birch Sap, and is a 2-Part-er.

1) As there are more than one type of Birch Tree, can any type of Birch Tree's Sap be used, or are there only specific kinds of Birch Tree that have edible Sap?

and

2) Can Birch Sap be drunk neat? or must it be turned into syrup or wine etc before being consumed?

Thank you kindly in advance for any replies, I wasn't sure to put this in the Food and Drink section or the Fauna Section.

Wolves. :)

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
1. not sure but i know silver birch is the norm to tap
2. it can be drunk strait away, made into beer, wine etc
leon

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Downy or grey birch taps well and the sap drinks well "raw" - also the bark is a great firelighter or container-making material. There are many silver/downy birch hybrids around as well!
John

Both species of birch that are indigenous to the Uk are widespread and very common. Downy birch have slightly rounder leaves and are more prolific in wetter parts of the country.

Silver Birch (Betula pendula)
Downy Birch (Betula pubescens)

Like what was said before the sap from both okay to drink. I would imagine all birch is but you'd better check!
In Scotland everythng was made from birch, from thatch to furniture to bedding to cutlery.It is our special tree and affectionaley known as the lady of the woods. The vikings called it the healing tree for two reasons; it always grew back after cutting down and it has anti-imflammatory chemicals in it similiar to aspirin and it was common apparently for injured warriors to drink the sap.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE