I have a Ka Bar Problem!

bigstoney

Oct 31, 2008
Ilminster
Think I need some help....!

Having read a couple of threads damning and supporting the illustrious Ka bar USMC knife, I am now completely obsessed with buying one.....! Thanks to all contributors that made this happen....!
Yep, I know it's supposedly only good for st*bbing innocent sheeple in Tesco's (or Asda's I s'pose) on a Tuesday but I still want one. No, that's wrong. I want two. The big monster one and it's short a*se l'il bruvver. To boot, I want to use them for 'outdoors' stuff too, I would say 'Bushcraft' but with me it nearly always ends up throwing a load of gear in the car, going shopping for food and erm, refreshments, parking up nearby to my fave place and staying away from people as long as possible, hardly purist!
Anyways, I know I don't need either knife (truth is, I get way with using my Buck 112 Ranger for most tasks) so why do I want them then? I think it's because everyone here is secretly working for Ka Bar's marketing department quietly raising my awareness and instilling the seeds of need into my peanut head. Can't resist.

Thanks for listening, please don't be offended, I didn't mean to cause offence and it's mean't to be mildly humorous (!)

Dave.

p.s Does anyone else use and like their Buck 112? I think it's a great 'user' and very good value.

Steffen

Forager
Jun 13, 2010
Norway
what do you need help with?
if you want it, you should get one.

i love the look of the leather stacked Ka-Bar.
i have a Ontario SP1, and due to it being thick behind the edge bevel, it performs poorly for whittling and carving.
from what i've read and asked around on forums, the Ka-Bar is just as bad in that context.
and i think a 7" blade isn't this nor that.

if they made a flat ground, leather stacked Ka-Bar with a 5" blade 4mm thick or 9" blade 5mm thick, i'd be all over it.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
what do you need help with?
if you want it, you should get one.

i love the look of the leather stacked Ka-Bar.
i have a Ontario SP1, and due to it being thick behind the edge bevel, it performs poorly for whittling and carving.
from what i've read and asked around on forums, the Ka-Bar is just as bad in that context.
and i think a 7" blade isn't this nor that.

if they made a flat ground, leather stacked Ka-Bar with a 5" blade 4mm thick or 9" blade 5mm thick, i'd be all over it.

Now that sounds like a good knife!:)

bigstoney

Oct 31, 2008
Ilminster
Hi Steffen,
Thanks for the reply, I think I just need help balancing between 'need' and 'want'! My post wasn't mean't to be taken too seriously, I was just ranting over my own daft attitude towards knives, I have a Fallkniven S1 which covers all my needs admirably so the Ka bar will be just a bit of fun and maybe a learning opportunity too. Learning in the sense of getting the most from the tool itself and perhaps (if possible) how to overcome the tool's limitations - pointed out in your post.
I do feel like contacting Ka bar about the very tool you describe, after all if we don't ask them for it, they won't know we want it. I wonder if making a full flat variation of the USMC shorty is a real possibility? Doesn't seem way off to me but I don't know much about the details of making production knives.
Cheers,

Dave.

Steffen

Forager
Jun 13, 2010
Norway
if you do contact them, we would be very interested in hearing their response.
but i do guess they will point you in the direction of their Becker line.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Think I need some help....!

Having read a couple of threads damning and supporting the illustrious Ka bar USMC knife, I am now completely obsessed with buying one.....! Thanks to all contributors that made this happen....!
Yep, I know it's supposedly only good for st*bbing innocent sheeple in Tesco's (or Asda's I s'pose) on a Tuesday but I still want one. No, that's wrong. I want two. The big monster one and it's short a*se l'il bruvver. To boot, I want to use them for 'outdoors' stuff too, I would say 'Bushcraft' but with me it nearly always ends up throwing a load of gear in the car, going shopping for food and erm, refreshments, parking up nearby to my fave place and staying away from people as long as possible, hardly purist!
Anyways, I know I don't need either knife (truth is, I get way with using my Buck 112 Ranger for most tasks) so why do I want them then? I think it's because everyone here is secretly working for Ka Bar's marketing department quietly raising my awareness and instilling the seeds of need into my peanut head. Can't resist.

Thanks for listening, please don't be offended, I didn't mean to cause offence and it's mean't to be mildly humorous (!)

Dave.

p.s Does anyone else use and like their Buck 112? I think it's a great 'user' and very good value.

Just looked up the Buck 112. Looks great! I've had a Buck 110 for decades and the 112 looks like a short copy. What's not to like? Get the Kabar too. It's fine as an outdoor knife and you'll love it and the fun is the whole reason we go to the woods anyway. Granted it's not a carving knife but I'm really still struggling to understand what carving really has to do with bushcraft anyway. Why do I need a spoon?

bigstoney

Oct 31, 2008
Ilminster
Hi Santaman2000,
I couldn't agree more, I go to the woods for lots of reasons, carving spoons is still yet to be one of them. I bought some flexcuts for carving anyway so if I do choose to carve anything, I'll take them with me.
I must say I always thought 'bushcraft' was a just a simple term coined to bring together lots of traditional skills and methods (from all over the world) that are dying out in our modern 'progressive' society. Nothing's really mandatory...! That's my take on it anyway, sorry if it offends anybody.
As for Buck knives, I love 'em, I've got a 110 too, but I find the 112 'fits' me a lot better and does the job well enough for me. (Got a Vanguard and 119 Special also)

......I'm also now the proud (and very happy) owner of a Ka Bar USMC Fighting/Utility knife, thanks to a member on here. Not had a chance to use it yet but it sharpens up very easily!

Dave.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Dave,

I agree, it's not written anywhere you have to do this, that or whatever to be a "bushcrafter", I take my bushcraft where I can find it and as it suits me. I think I might have to look my ka-bar out for a play tomorrow. Enjoy yours mate!

Dave

Steffen

Forager
Jun 13, 2010
Norway
our prayers have been heard!
[video=youtube;ZzWlUWsDBik]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzWlUWsDBik[/video]

look at 1:07-1:47
its called Mark 1, and from what i could find it has a 5,25" flat ground blade.
some guys on bladeforums said it will be available in early may.

i can hardly wait.

Steffen

Forager
Jun 13, 2010
Norway
from what i can see on lapolicegear(only place i could find prices and specs) it should be around 10-15% less than the standard usmc knife.
and blade length is 5 1/8" and not 5,25" as i said in my previous post.

bigstoney

Oct 31, 2008
Ilminster
Looks like just the job!

I've read through the Bladeforum thread and I'm hoping that a UK dealer will (eventually) stock the stacked leather version as it seems only available through Blue Ridge knives. At less than $50 (Kraton handle version) I think they'll sell bucketloads of these knives.

Dave.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
This came up in conversation the other day - might have been Frank from Framar. He can get pretty much anything so you could do worse than ask. I'll be speaking with him on Monday morning so I could ask for you

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE