I dont know this tree

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
IMG_7348.JPG

In habit it is tall and sprightly, like a birch and has grey bark, like a beech.

(But the bark is rough, unlike a beech.)

Attachments

• IMG_7348.JPG
    IMG_7348.JPG
    364 KB · Views: 22

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Hard to say from pic.
Could it be a Rowan relative like Sorbus aria? S. a. lutescens?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I agree Whitebeam, I have one in the garden.
I disagree on both whitebeam and more general sorbus.

Elm of some sort could be possible, the picture quality makes it hard to tell, but the green fruit do not look like elm, or hornbeam.

Tengu, its a bad photo (not one leaf shown flat and deep shadows, and you don't show but a hint of the fruit) and you could have helped with additional details, like where in the country you found it, and what sort of place it was growing. :nana:

That said, I am going to say I think its an Alder. Those fruit look classic alder, and what can be seen of the leaf shape and order of budding off the twig could be right too.

Why it isn't a whitebeam:
The leaves in Tengu's photo are longer relative to their width than Whitebeam (no sign of the white underside), and more important, look at how the whitebeam leaves sprout from their twigs, three or four all come out together. Now look at Tengu's picture, the leaves very clearly come off alternating about every 20mm.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Better pictures would help, especially of the seed pod. If it's not a small cone then its not alder. It may not be native, it looks a bit like the non native beech, Nothofagus.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I’m more in agreement with Chris in erring towards an alder but it’s too hard to tell from this picture.

I’ve dug my Philips tree book out - it’s been some years since it’s been out and I had to dig back three rows of books. There is nothing definite that jumps out.

Please post a picture of a flat mature leaf. Is the tip rounded or pointed? I can see that the veins are alternate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE