I bet he got in trouble with the missus!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Am I the only one whose brain is screaming 'A TENNER FOR THREE BITS OF BRANCH!!!'.

Who in their right mind would buy something that you can gather and make for nowt? Talk about cashing in...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We've got kind of used to the ebay sales of firebow kits, that's all :rolleyes: Our previous comments range from the sublime to the ridiculous on the topic :naughty:

cheers,
Toddy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I didn't want to bring that up, I just wanted to have a laff at the guy smoking his house out! The thing is, people will buy it, and i was just saying to my missus maybe I should put some of the lime bark up on eBay opnce it has finished retting, I bet somebody will buy it!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Anyway, before this thread gets its very own padlock, I'll try and turn the discussion a bit!

i actually did do some bow drill work on a balcony in an old flat, and the smoke drifted into the house and i got severe grief from the missus! Who else has done some sort of bushcraft thing in the house which has incurred the wrath of one incredibly annoyed woman?

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
You'll get ten times as much if you make it into cordage first, you'll have them in bidding wars for it ;)

Best do a Buy Now listing too, £20 per metre? It's a time-intensive process after all :lmao:

Edit: Am afraid I've done some bow-drilling in the living-room, as well as whittling and carving - thankfully :rolleyes: I live on my lonesome.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I am still currently in the doghouse for seasoning my skillet on the hob/in the oven over a week ago. To say it was a tad smokey and smelly may be a bit of an understatement :eek: on top of that I also melted the bristles on the pastry brush whilst ensuring a nice even coating :twak:

Loving the 'tinder bundle' in that auction :D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Whats the problem?
My home seems devoted to TGO in its various forms - it is me who nags the wife when she gets the livingroom fire going (when it is too warm to warrent it - does she think firewood grows on trees?) and the wind is in the direction that make the inglenook fireplace smoke out the house!
Game/biltong prep, firelighting - hey - just about anything goes here!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I just ignore the nagging. In fact, she's given up on nagging and I get the silent treatment these days. It's brilliant!
I must say though, I've done a hell of a lot worse than use a bow drill in the living room. Last year, when it was just too cold to work outside, I brought the pole lathe into the living room. Carpet two feet thick in wood shavings and a trail of shavings right across the carpet through the door, down the hallway and out the back door. Then she decided to come home with her snobby sister in tow. Oops!
Eric

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We have the same carpet on the floor that was there when we moved in 17 year's ago-it was brand new then and extremely expensive-real wool, hessian backed and all that-
well!! after a few years it wasn't new anymore was it?
There are various holes, small burns, leather dye stains and one or two areas that still smell "a bit funny" from time to time-none of this I have to admit, is due to "fair ware and tear":D

Bah!
I wanted a real wood floor anyway! so trousers!!:p
cheers
R.B.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Hey, I have a small workbench right in the living room - small vice, anvil, pile of hammers, tongs, pliers, nippers, and files. So I do a lot of "cold" metal work right next to the desk and couch. I do try not to do much wood work - because of the sawdust. And the vacumn does occasionally pick up a straw bit of iron that got away. Sure does rattle!

And I even taught a friends 10 year old daughter how to start a fire with flint and steel right in the living room. He still thinks the carpet was burning when he woke up from his nap, but it was never in jeopardy. But after he woke up in a panic over all that smoke, we moved outside. But this also allowed here to start a complete fire from catching that spark, getting her tinder bundle burning, and then feeding small sticks to it to build a complete campfire (in the middle of the driveway).

But I don't live in a "woman's" house! It's been years since a female ruled the roost here - well, except for the cat and her kits. And the fact that my place is not a "woman's" house is why so many of my friends really like to stop by. They usually can't explain why they like my place, but it's become obvious to me. All of MY stuff/toys are spread out all over the place instead of being relegated to a backroom, a hidden corner down in the basement, a shelf/wall in the garage, or a tiny shed in the back yard. It's not a "Martha Stewart" fantasy world to impress other women. It's a place for me to live and work. There ain't no doilies, tea coasies, nicknacks, nor potpouri in the whole house!

So, fire starting is only one of the minor things I have done in the living room. Also, tore apart and rebuilt a chainsaw, cut and sewed up a canvas tent, worked leather, carved horn, misc. woodwork (but not much because of cleaning up all the sawdust), lots of small iron work, did minor surgery, and even the occasional nap. I haven't skinned/butchered any animals in the living room - yet. I just do that in the kitchen in cold weather, or out back when it's warmer.

So goes life out here in the hills.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE