Hydrophobic down, what do you think.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Hi there. Just want to share something with you guys.
Recently purchased RAB down sleeping bag and I was looking at the Nikwax Down Proof treatment. I thought it would be a good idea to ask RAB what they think before I mes up my sb.
Heres the answer:

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Enquiry[/FONT]
Hi there. I have just purchased Ascent 500 sleeping bag and I wasd wandering what is your view on Nikwax down proof. This is my 1st down bag and I would hate to damage it. Regards[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Hello Matthew[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Thank you for the email.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]To be honest I do not tend to use it, preferring to buy something with a DWR coating already applied if I feel that it is necessary. I have found that you have to be very sparing with it and you can discolour the lightweight Pertex fabrics if over applied and affect breathability a little. If you are using the bag for multiple nights out where it may get wet or damp then I would probably look at carrying a very lightweight cover such as the Rab® Survival Zone Lite bivi.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Best Regards[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Matt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matthew Clarke[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sales Office Manager

[/FONT]

My question was more about the down itself. I don't really care about the DWR of the shell as I have no trouble keeping the bag away from water.
I have read somewhere that down will absorb moisture from a damp environment or your body if you use the bag continously for many nights.
As I have said this is my first down bag and maybe I spend too much time on google :)
But I would be gratefull for your view on treating the bag with Nikwax Down Proof

[FONT=&quot]Hi Matthew[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Ok understood.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Again I do not think I would attempt this on a product containing as much down as a sleeping bag.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]All of our sleeping bags will come with hydrophobic down from Feb 2014. The main benefit is for long trips where conditions are generally bad and you will struggle to dry the bag out during the day. Down is actually fairly resistant to damp however and as long as you air it properly you shouldn’t have any problems.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Best Regards[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matt[/FONT]

So the era of hydrophobic down is coming, what do you think? And to mess with your head a bit more wach this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDx14xueEJA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgH7HSvla9k

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
It will definitely add a little performance to down filled goods. It's been out for a while now and reports are that it allows the down to dry out a little quicker in the field. For UK use in out quite damp climate, how much of a benefit it will be is probably variable.

I imagine Rab have no choice as to whether to switch as lots of the big names are using it.

TBH, I've never used down proof, I've not had the need to really but I can't imagine it not working. I really need to try some to satisy my curiosity.

The cynic in me thinks hydrophobic factroy treated down is a cheap way of boosting lower quality down to higher fill powers. Down is due for a big price hike soon and this could be a way of keeping costs down.

rg598

Native
From the comparison testing I have seen, hydrophobic down is better than untreated down, but still not as moisture resistant as synthetic fill like PrimaLoft. No matter what sleeping bag you use, if you use it for prolonged period of time you will have to dry it. Your body produces moisture during the night which gets absorbed. A vapor barrier liner is the only way to reduce that problem. Similarly, moisture from the air will find its way in no matter what you do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE