HVK are better than Mora

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Been comparing my mora classic to my little hvk over the last week or so and my hultafors HVK is outperforming the mora at everything.

Sharpens easier
Holds an edge better
Cuts better

Both are Carbon steel. The hvk is even cheaper than the mora and you can get hold of em for about six quid.

Highly recommended.

Cheers

Mike

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
I'll go with : sharpens easily, holds a great edge and cuts/carves beautifully as I don't have a Mora to compare with,
but with a little work the sheath (which works very well) can look better too..... :D ...

Five.jpg

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
No no no. Tha can't make statements like that. You will surely be cast out an burnt on a stake :p

I also wanted to compare a Gransfors axe to my Carboot axe. However I can't justify the cost of a Gransfors axe to do the comparison. Who'd pay that much money for an axe you use maybe once a year and can't carry in public? ;) :p

Last edited:

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
How can you get better than flawless? My Mora Bushcraft has been literally flawless in its performance the whole time I have owned it.

I'm willing to concede that the HVK may well be flawless too - I wouldn't know since I haven't used one. But better?

The only way they could make mora better is if they released a nice special edition with a full tang and cocobolo scales ;)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
The HVK is a good knife, no mistake, I particularly like the orange handle for visibility if you drop it in the woods. Better than the Moras? I wouldn't like to say, they're both pretty darn good in my opinion.

Dave

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
are these statements not contradictory;
Sharpens easier
Holds an edge better

sharpens easier suggests softer steel but holds an edge better suggests harder steel. BTW no skin in game don't favour one over the other.

Cheers,

Alan

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
I prefer the mora clipper for comfort and the blade shape.

But as for price these hultafors are great and are defo a competitor to mora.

I wouldn't say one knife is better than the other, it's preference really and what you are going to use it for.
Iv got both myself and have really put them to work, Iv achieved the same things with both knives from carving and feather sticks to battoning.

For me the clipper is the comfiest, but I know someone who finds the hultafors comfier than mora.

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Ive got an hultafors 'heavy duty'and although i like it i prefer the comfort of a mora.
But for £6 you cant go wrong.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Ive got an hultafors 'heavy duty'and although i like it i prefer the comfort of a mora.
But for £6 you cant go wrong.

My mora classic gives me blisters after a while. I have two hvk's. Both are comfy but one more than the other since it has a nice custom walnut handle by Hugo of this parish..

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
My mora classic gives me blisters after a while. I have two hvk's. Both are comfy but one more than the other since it has a nice custom walnut handle by Hugo of this parish..

I find the Hultafors a bit bulky and the tiny textured pimples are horrid.
I bet the hugo handled one looks good....any piccys?

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
My favourite handle shape is that of the mora 746. If they made one with a 3 mil blade with a small choil, and no guard, I would buy 5 of them. :)

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I agree with you mountainm, they are good knives for the money, I take a couple with me every time I'm in the woods, both re handled with walnut as I like to put my mark on my gear.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE