Hurricane relief

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
As you know, the eastern parts of the Caribbean has been severely damaged by this years hurticanes.
The richer part of the population will be &ine, but those Islands have a large percent of very poor population. They live in shacks and very simple houses. Not much means to buy new materials to rebuild.
The prices of materials have skyrocketed doe to scarcity and profit hunger.

P

Rotary International District 7020 ( the District in this part of the Caribbean) has now set up a Fund Me.
https://www.gofundme.com/rotary7020hurricanerelief

Please note that basically 100% of the donated funds will go towards the rebuilding.

No donation is small enough, please donate.

I am a longtime Rotarian, and can vouch for the legality of the Gofundme appeal.

Our 3 clubs on Island are of course contributing with money, (we have our own ways to do it through the Dstrict and Rotary International,) we are also sending people to aid in medical, catastrophy management, repairs..

If this thread is against the Fo4um rules, please remove.

Last edited:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I support Jane's point about poverty in the region.

I once taught in the Bahamas. Although there are a lot of very rich people there, the vast majority are very poor. There is no social security fallback and a lack of resources and infrastructure to repair lives and livelihoods. TV coverage suggests affected areas reflect my experience of the Bahamas.

The affected islanders whether in the Caribbean or further north in the Atlantic need our material help. Please support through your favourite charity. Oxfam in my case.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Perhaps the mega rich that live on the same island as the very poor might be able to help? I have enough trouble keeping a roof over us and buying in food and fuel. That aside, the damage, destruction etc is truly shocking, and a huge quake in Mexico too, so I fully support your motive for posting, but charity begins at home.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Perhaps the mega rich that live on the same island as the very poor might be able to help? I have enough trouble keeping a roof over us and buying in food and fuel. That aside, the damage, destruction etc is truly shocking, and a huge quake in Mexico too, so I fully support your motive for posting, but charity begins at home.

Of course charity begins at home, but why should it end there? I would like to reply to your comment but I would have to break the rules of the forum.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Natural disaters affect everyone, not just the poor of the area, and are one way in which we can give help that is genuinley needed.

I am one who has often had doubts about the effectivness of foreign aid...I am not the only one, but disaster aid is a different matter.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I kept my money at home this summer. We had such a hellish fire season.
We set up an unofficial "Comfort Center" and fed hundreds who had no choice but to pass through our village
in their escape.

Some volunteers served, chatted and fed the evacuees and their pets. Some volunteers were drivers.
Some volunteers stayed home and cooked from dawn until dark and beyond. Others bought the groceries.
We had enough people for shifts so nobody got worn out.

Tens of thousands of square miles of black and no birds sing.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Just be aware of that many charities and organisationd have huge overheads. Red Cross about 90% of money collected is used up by the internal organisation.
Rotary International — virtually 100% gifted to the target.

I do not know about how many % of the population is mega rich, but it is not many, if any, on an island like Barbuda.

Yes I hope they, with Richard Branson in the front line, help.

Of course you help your area first if you had a catastrophy like the forest fires. A lot there needs to be rebuilt!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I hope your fundraising is a great success Janne, but I think your figures are a tad misleading.

http://www.redcross.org.uk/Donate-Now/Donation-enquiries/Questions-about-our-costs

71% is the money actually used in charitable work, 1% is used in governance and the rest is fundraising expenses.

I know charities get slated, but their reality is that sufficient donations do not come without effort.

Richard Branson has set up a charity to provide for the British Virgin Islands, and says that 100% of the money raised will be used there.
https://www.virgin.com/unite/bvi-community-support-appeal
Then again, the man is very wealthy and can afford to donate his time for fundraising for free. I hope the islanders get the help they need to restore their homes and livelihoods.

Robson Valley ? I cannot imagine the devastation left by such fires; I know nature recovers and thrives again, but for the present it must look like a hellish vision. I know that the people who live in those areas are inclined to be prepared, but I don't think one can every really be totally prepared for a natural disaster like that, and especially one on such a scale.

M

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
You are correct, I wrote totally wrong % fir Red Cross. Sorry!
But many charities have horrendous overheads, check online before you give!

I will not edit my faulty figures not to confuse.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Puerto Rico seems utterly devastated. How they going to get clean water to 3.4 million people, I have no idea. Hopefully they can vaccinate a lot of people to reduce infections of things like cholera.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Of course charity begins at home, but why should it end there? I would like to reply to your comment but I would have to break the rules of the forum.

PM system? Happy to have a discussion. :)

If I'm not alright, how can I help anyone else?

I'm not completely skint and can afford a few pounds towards the relief, but it's all a bit vapid, there's no real connection to the situation for most of us. It's like it's outside and we have to oblige by paying a bit and it'll go away. But there is a lot of money on those islands that have taken a big hit from two huge storms. Sitting on the sofa and pledging a few quid is just a nod in the general direction. I find that a bit rude, "I've done my bit, I'll carry on with what I was doing and feel OK because I made the effort to press a button on my computer".

It's not a dig at you or anyone else, nor am I trying to inflame anyone. The earthquake and hurricanes are making me think those crazy preppers may not be so wrong after all.

Insomnia, not had it for months and months, it's annoying.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The worst is the lack of clean water. I think situations like this is where those horrible plastic bottled waters are ok.

Some islands are rich, some not.

I hope the US sends a couple of ships with on board desalination equipment, a good short time hrlp, before they sort out the water purification plants.
US Territory

starsailor

feisty celt
I am/was aware of the admin/overheads debate and concerns regarding some of the bigger charities, been at this for years. One of my favourite charities is Oxfam, for personal reasons, but I continually get an ear bashing every time I mention supporting them, because of the perceived 'admin/top exec wages' thing.

In my case, the Red Cross was one of the first to get an appeal up and running, and in my experience they are widely known and respected, with no eg religious/political etc bias. We did what we could and when we could do it to help.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I cannot be the only one who wonders why we don't have 'relief ships', kept stocked with equipment such as the desalination plant that Janne mentioned, perhaps used as training vessels the rest of the time, but able to be quickly crewed and despatched when disasters like these ones, and the ones in the pacific, (PNG comes to mind) occur.

Roads are devastated in hurricanes and earthquakes, greatly restricting access, but all that machinery of war, from half tracks to tanks, from engineers who build bridges in hours for artillery to cross over, surely we could put that to better use than war.
Mercyships is another practical and effective idea.

Thing is though, we can sit and talk this round and round, but the major charities are already on the ground trying to help. Governments from the UK to France and the Netherlands are already providing aid and people to help, and were quickly on the scene.

I think anyone who does something to help, whether remotely or hands on, or continues to help in the long recovery process, is doing 'their bit'.
Personally I get swamped by charities appealling for funds. It really has become 'big business' and not a day goes by but there's stuff in the post.
As Janne says though, it's worth reading their statistics re overheads and actual work done/supplies delivered.

We don't get tax breaks or deductions here for charitable donations, we just do it, though I admit it's rather odd to drop stuff off at the local hospice charity shop and be asked to fill in a form so that they can reclaim tax on it :dunno:

Help folks to help themselves, that way they're best able to get back to normal life and stand again on their own two feet. There have been some horrendous social mistakes made with devastated communities in the past as folks thought they were helping.
Years long supplies of free grain etc., just means that local farmers and families are never able to recover and make a living.

Not easy, is it ?

M

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I have thought previously about 'relief ships'; on past discussion with others on this, the natural route of 'why not?' tends to conclude in finance and travel time. Once a disaster has passed, the rescue starts which is a matter of days. The recovery phase can last from months to years (Nepal, Philippines, etc). The quandary with relief ships is that goods are needed in the initial rescue and recovery. When a ship has made port (if it can), local people, local and international aid agencies have got through the worst and supplies by air have already been on turnaround (a lot of aircraft can land on hasty runways) and land convoys are in progress to remote areas.
Having been on a few aid missions with UK NGO's, I have witnessed the poor not getting help for weeks. The Red Cross imho spend too long with there risk and threat assessments, etc, etc which has lasted DAYS before relief can start. The whole professional aid relief structure has a lot to be desired but I can also understand the sheer weight of where to start and finding that starting point.
One story I know first hand is how poor people lost their shacks in the Phillippines from a typhoon and found refuge in a school. The landowner was happy because they were squatting and could now put guards on his land to stop them coming back!! To make matters worse, the school couldn't commence repairs properly nor open for children because of the sheer weight of homeless residing. The poor always suffer, and it appeared that money and influence talked. If a region didn't vote for the current figure, they ended up further down the list for help. It's also worth noting that a lot of funds that are made for the latest relief effort don't go to that disaster. It's banked for the next one and so on so forth.
From my experience, areas prone to disasters have a poor population (it's pure regional geography) and they have learnt to live with them and always bounce resolutely against each one. The relief effort is what the public see; what they don't see is the business deals, territory disputes and waste of resources.
Bit long winded I know, but, if you want to donate to 'the efforts', donate to the smaller volunteer charities who use their works holiday, unpaid time off to attend relief efforts overseas. You'll be surprised that as little as 0p per pound is utilised for charity expenses (apart from insurance and annual charity status) and operating from donation both public and commercial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good points :)

Talking not so long ago with friends about the decay of piers and harbours as the smaller fishing fleets disappear, we commented that in the not so distant past boats were simply run ashore and unloaded. It was standard practice, it was commonplace, and no need for harbours. Think local, think small, is often very effective too.

Health and safety are important, and a huge advance on the carelessness of past practices, but no getting away from the limitations they impose. Litigation, and threats to sue are an enormous burden too, epecially when pushed by those who just want to profit.

M

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
I am/was aware of the admin/overheads debate and concerns regarding some of the bigger charities, been at this for years. One of my favourite charities is Oxfam, for personal reasons, but I continually get an ear bashing every time I mention supporting them, because of the perceived 'admin/top exec wages' thing.

In my case, the Red Cross was one of the first to get an appeal up and running, and in my experience they are widely known and respected, with no eg religious/political etc bias. We did what we could and when we could do it to help.

First, I have to declare an interest. My elder son started working for Oxfam as an unpaid volunteer on leaving university. Within a year he had been offered a paid job with Oxfam. Eventually he became Oxfam's deputy director of trading (the Oxfam shops) before moving to Oxfam International as their Director of Strategy. The bulk of his work was in streamlining procedures to minimise costs and to maximise the resources available to meet Oxfam's declared objectives. It would be fai to describe him as a "top executive. He stood down this year to become a freelance consultant and lecturer on charity administration.

If he has ever been paid anything other than a medium range salary I'm at a loss to know where the money has gone. He lives in a modest house in Oxford and the family holiday is typically two weeks camping in Brittany. Although the work entailed travelling the world, accommodation was with local Oxfam employees or volunteers. No first class or swish hotels for him or his colleagues. The work load put a strain on his health and personal life.
This may explain why get irritated by the ill-informed rhetoric of the "charity begins at home" brigade. Use of this tired old cliche always indicates someone who does not think very clearly or deeply about a complex and changing situation.

I would like to make the following points which are my own personal views and not those of Oxfam or any other charity or, indeed, my son:

Charities are highly regulated and subject to law and strict regulation. Their accounts and allocation of funds are readily available in the public domain.

Administration costs are inevitable and exist to ensure efficient use of resources.

Negative attitudes and ill-informed opinions actually cost charities money by increasing advertising necessary to refute mis-information and to compensate for the undermining of campaigns. The Daily Mail is a particular offender in this respect and some of the views it disseminates have percolated through to this thread. Such attitudes have a direct adverse effect on lives.

Charities are not only about raising and spending money on disaster relief. By campaigning for education for girls or regulation the arms trade, for example, they prevent or alleviate future problems. Much of my son's work entailed altering the views of politicians at home and abroad. Campaigning costs, but also saves, money.

Charities have to work with governments and other organisations. I know that my son has gained enormous respect for the armed forces and has deemed it a privilege to have worked with high ranking military officers of many nations as well as with the men on the ground. The work of the armed forces is evident in most news reports these days where the military is often the first responder.

The work of charities is changing and evolving as are the need of countries in the developing world. Yesterday's aid recipient with help can become tomorrows aid giver. Gone are the days of throwing money away on short term relief, for example. But the charities themselves have to run their own review and re-education programmes to ensure that they are up-to-date and efficient. This is not without its own cost implications.

Large charities are in a position to monitor the effectiveness of the of aid they supply. I know of one case where a large charity paid a local lawyer to sue his own country's government in order to enforce their own anti-corruption laws. The thousands this cost resulted in the saving of millions.

There is much more I could add, but this is a complex problem that is constantly changing. What remains is that crises will always occur and while we have been arguing, those poor bu**ers in the West Indies are still enduring a miserable time.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've got pictures of melted glass windows from the chicken coop.
Melted aluminum irrigation pipes from what used to be the creek pump house.
Was a real hottie, less than 30' from the ranch house.

Here in the village, I'm too old and clumsy to take an active role so I did sit-down things.

Just never forget that your own, local, aid agencies still and always need your help.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Ask the footballers for some money. A quick check and Wayne Rooney earns over £47000 per day I'm sure a fair bit goes on tax but equally I'm sure he could make a more significant contribution than most of us and not have his life suffer.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE