Hurricane lamp vs. pressure lamp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
g4ghb said:
...... however with the new coleman style petrol ones i beleive you just pump and light it!

Argh you beat me to it.

To mirror what everyone else has said, I also have a few hurricane lamps at home for emergencies and for use during winter evening barbecues. I used parafin pressure lamps in my Scouting days (almost anything can start them up, meths, hexy, slug pellets[ similar to hexy] petrol etc). and I used a Coleman dualfuel lantern regularly during the winter months.
I fully agree with Waylands comment about light pollution amongst like-minded folk, but there are times when unsusspecting sheeple get less upset if they can see a light approaching from afar rather than an unexpectedly close voice from the darkness uttering an "Evenin'!" greeting which scares most of them out of their wits :cool:

ATB

Ogri the trog

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
My apologies. After rereading all the posts I begin to understand what is meant by "pressure lamp." I believe they are referred to in the US as Aladdin Lamps. Most of them, that I'm familiar with, are lamps, rather than lanterns.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aladdin-Lamp-23_W0QQitemZ6253508401QQcategoryZ1406QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

We had quite a few of them when I was young. Unfortunately, when we first got electric power, we took the lot of them (along with some beautiful old LP gas chandeliers) out in the woods and used them for target practise. That single light bulb, hanging down from a cord, looked so much better to us - at the time.

PG

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
pierre girard said:
My apologies. After rereading all the posts I begin to understand what is meant by "pressure lamp." I believe they are referred to in the US as Aladdin Lamps. Most of them, that I'm familiar with, are lamps, rather than lanterns.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aladdin-Lamp-23_W0QQitemZ6253508401QQcategoryZ1406QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

We had quite a few of them when I was young. Unfortunately, when we first got electric power, we took the lot of them (along with some beautiful old LP gas chandeliers) out in the woods and used them for target practise. That single light bulb, hanging down from a cord, looked so much better to us - at the time.

PG

Pierre, the Aladdin lamps are not pressure lamps, the paraffin burns on a wick inside the mantle in them, I have one and it is a great lamp! :)

The pressure lamps are the likes of the Tilley, Petromax, Bialaddin and Coleman where the vapourised fuel burns inside the mantle. These lamps all have pumps on them to pressurise them, hence the name.

lamp_group.jpg

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
mojofilter said:
Pierre, the Aladdin lamps are not pressure lamps, the paraffin burns on a wick inside the mantle in them, I have one and it is a great lamp! :)

The pressure lamps are the likes of the Tilley, Petromax, Bialaddin and Coleman where the vapourised fuel burns inside the mantle. These lamps all have pumps on them to pressurise them, hence the name.

lamp_group.jpg

I stand corrected! I do know the Aladdin lamps worked much better than the normal kerosene lamps.

For pressure lamps, the Coleman (white gas) has always been the standard out our way. We have one from the 1930s that my father did his school work by. Still works fine. I don't think I've ever come across a pressure lamp (or lantern) that burned kerosene (parrafin).

PG

Ravenn

Jan 13, 2005
Central, Ky,USA
I own and use occasionally one of three coleman lanterns, two of which I got new,and have used them through to their ":antique" status, the third is a propane model. I like them all, but carry the propane mod. while car camping. I seldom use it unless my activity requires a abundance of light, the rest of the time, It's the Kerosene lantern, with citronella oil.

As far as regular kerosene or parafin having an unpleant smell, check out any shop that sells kerosene heaters. They also sell a small bottle of scent to go into your fuel supply.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I stand corrected! I do know the Aladdin lamps worked much better than the normal kerosene lamps.

For pressure lamps, the Coleman (white gas) has always been the standard out our way. We have one from the 1930s that my father did his school work by. Still works fine. I don't think I've ever come across a pressure lamp (or lantern) that burned kerosene (parrafin).

PG

Coleman have made kerosene/paraffin lanterns for many years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XYbHnn2Be8

I have a 1962 twin mantle white gas which works really well and I belive one of out UK members here, Ian, has a kerosene Coleman IIRC.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
...I believe one of out UK members here, Ian, has a kerosene Coleman IIRC.

Yes indeedy, Coleman #201 and a dazzling little performer it is too...

Triangle201.jpg

201a.jpg

Another Coleman kerosene lantern which is probably more common these days is the #214,

images

a good lantern which turns up on ebay fairly regularly.

Covert System

May 6, 2013
Nottingham
I realize that this is an old thread but found this via a link from google because it referenced Tilley Lamps.

After reading the thread I have to say that you have to take in to account a number of things.

First, your application for the requirement of lighting, if you are camping, what type of camping activity are you partaking in and do you need a simple torch or do you need something that will provide a light source for longer hours.

Tilley Lamps may be used for camping and fishing but you should not forget that pressure lanterns were used in the home long before electricity came in to general use and in some homes were still in use up to the early 1960's and yes, Tilley lamps are still being made today just like many other pressure lantern manufacturers because you still have lots or rural areas in the world that are still today without electric.

The advantage of a pressure lantern is not just the fact that for a small unit it gives off anything from 300 to 500 candle power of light, its the area that it can illuminate that you need to consider but also these generate useful heat that can warm a tent or caravan in cold wet weather.

Yes pressure lanterns are smelly and they will be if you use ordinary paraffin (Kerosene) you have to source a supply of sulphur free kerosene to burn in these devices and you will not have any smell.

Hurricane lanterns produce very little light compared to a pressure lantern and if your lighting needs are not requiring a bright light then this would be ample but the glass gets sooty whereas a pressure lantern does not if used properly.

Torches are practical because they give instant light, no fiddling around trying to light your hurricane lantern or having to wait for the pre heater torch to do its stuff with the pressure lantern. So a torch is a must for anyone needing instant light.

Candles in a camp are not practical at all. I am not saying that you shouldn't have them but for use as in general lighting is a bad idea, best left for home use.

Your choice of lighting requirement should be based on what your needs are and like any kind of camping gear, lanterns and cookers and pressure lanterns and open flames all resent risk and careful consideration should be given to positioning and ensure any kind of lighting that produces heat is placed on a solid surface so that it can't move.

You have those who claim that pressure lanterns are difficult to use, light and maintain, well lighting a pressure lantern is no more difficult than lighting a hurricane lantern, maintaining one is just as easy as a hurricane lantern as its a question of following the instructions and the hissing noise aspect, thats just part of the charm of a pressure lantern.

Finally, my personal preference to camp lighting is a Tilley Lantern and I have a back up LED torch (of the CREE type or White light, not those "Bluish" type white lights) which gives a good amount of light for a 1 Watt LED.

Happy Camping.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
personally if i had to chose as to one of the 2 lamps to take into the woods it would have to be a hurricane lamp for the fact that it is low level light and little to go wrong. i find pressure types noisy ,and so bright, its like las vegas in the woods. imho.

I'm thinking about removing the chimney top cap of a hurricane lamp ( Feuerhand 276 ) and building a cage to hold my Powerpot v thermal electric generator cooking pot. A bit like a Dietz 2000 hurricane heating up lamp but so I can make electricity for powering my iPhone and LED LENSOR rechargeable head torch.

It works on a candle so should work above a hurricane lantern.

[video=youtube_share;XJUHhbnHrnc]http://youtu.be/XJUHhbnHrnc[/video]

Any thoughts on this anyone?

Last edited:
Boucaneer,

In the days before mains electric & gas (pre-World War 2), for home cooking people used either solid fuel stoves, pressure stoves (Primas, etc. etc.) or wick paraffin stoves. These stoves often had 2 or 3 burners, sometimes 1 was replaced with an oven; the fuel was keeped in a common reservoir at one end. I have seen a home made 1 burner stove made from an old hurricane lamp, an old tin can and a seperate stand for the kettle. So suitably modified you should make your gizmo work. Incidentaly, It looks very like a WW2 radio battery charger used by the then special forces!

Sheepdog Bob.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
I shall give my modification a go then.

I removed the chimney lid/roof the other day and now just need to make a pot holder that can attach. So it will be a slow stove and lamp all in one that can be used simultaneously providing light and heat thermal generated electricity.

I have also made a back globe reflector using three thin metal credit card sized metal mirrors around the outside of the globe on one side. That should project a bit more light.

I'm trying to keep it simple and basic.

I would like to see that WW2 battery charger, sounds interesting.

By the way, I'm heading to India to live and may buy a kerosene stove that they use out there called the Everyday stove pictured in the link below.

http://www.anupamhomeappliances.com/kerosene-wick-stove.htm

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thanks for all your contributions, I resume:

Hurricane lamps are:
(negative)
- bulky for the light they give
- smelly
(positive)
- cheap
- easy

Pressure lamps are:
(negative)
- expensive
- heavy
- noisy (hissing)
- complex to use
- detrimental to nature (light pollution)
(positive)
- bright

Now is it still true you need two (2) fluids for lighting a pressure lamp (paraffin AND methylated spirits for priming)? Or are modern pressure lamps easier to use?

Hurricane lamps:
Not really bulky when you consider they burn for hours end on very little paraffin
They only really smell if you have the wick turned up too high.

Paraffin pressure lanterns:
Give off good light, some of us like to see our way round camp (detrimental to nature? how about the idiots who walk around with bloody bright head torches blinding those they meet)
Simple enough to light when you know how, pretty much idiot proof
Simple to maintain, once a year check the tank seal and pump leather
Mantles don't travel well once lit so take spares
You need a little meths to prime the lantern,,,no big deal there
Give off around 1Kw of heat which is welcome in a ventilated shelter
I prefer Bialaddin or Vapalux to Tilley, I've always had problems with Tilley.

Coleman Lanterns:
No need to prime
Uses only one type of fuel (Coleman/panel wipe/4T et al)
Maintenance is the same as paraffin pressure lanterns

I use all of the above.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Not to mention that scented lamp oils are also available. I don't especially like them, but they're available.

I think I will add 4% Neem oil to my kerosene when in India, this 4% mix helps to keep certain types of Mosquitos away.

I will try regular kerosene out and if it gums up the wick I shall clean it by adding a percentage of rubbing alcohol to it and letting it settle for a week and decanting it. I've read that this helps clean the kerosene allowing it to burn cleaner.

Can also add salt to help the flame burn brighter, like the Romans did, but this may cause corrosion in the steel font as the Romans font was clay/ceramic. Still it might be worth an experiment with an old lantern for a test.

I'm happy with the metal credit card sized mirror reflectors fitted between the globe and the cage though. Very reflective.

The finished project lamp would be like the one below in the link holding a thermal generator cooking pot creating 5 watts electric to a phone or torch. Soon the PowerPot X shall be realised creating 10 watts of electricity which should be handy.

Not complete bushcraft but can help with modern devices for communication etc.[video=youtube_share;T2zqhFESmls]http://youtu.be/T2zqhFESmls[/video]

http://youtu.be/T2zqhFESmls

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Coleman are dual fuel, that is Coleman and gasoline but...UK gasoline is full of additives and is the fast route to clogging up your stove or lantern, far better to stick to clean fuel.

Same here (although I expect the additives might be different) Isn't unleaded more available there now?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE