Hungarian Woodlore by Szasza

Sep 20, 2005
Hungary
Hey guys!

I'd like to introduce you a knife/maker from Hungary.
The maker's name is Szabolcs Szántó (Szasza), he is a well known bladesmith from Hungary.
If you check his website ( www.szasza.net ) you can see that he makes knives and swords and so one as well.
He always tries to discover different styles in knifemaking from the traditional scandinavian knives to the so called "tactical" styles.

Like 1,5 half before he came up with the idea to produce a knife that is similar to the well-known Woodlore,but with some refinements.

Here is the result:

106_0448_1.JPG

106_0453_1.JPG

The name of the knife is Wanderer. The main idea behind it was to make a knife that is well-usable in every situation, and is easy to maintain/produce.

The handle length is 125mm,the blade is 120 mm with a thickness of 4,5mm with tapered tang. Blade steel is S100 which is very similar to the well known 1095. This one has a curly birch handle, but it can vary.

After a series of knives was made, he gave one to a friend of mine, who is well known besides the hungarian bushcraft society, who gave the knife a try in the woods. Check out the video:
[video=youtube;1Tyt3Iea8y8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tyt3Iea8y8[/video]

(I think there is english subtitle as well.

I really like this knife and I'm curious about your opinion,so comments are more than welcome!

Sep 20, 2005
Hungary
A De Luxe version with cocobolo and mosaic pins
cocovandor.JPG

some more variations with silk rose wood and different finish on the blade
vandorok.JPG

Satin,Old English and black.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Very tasty indeed.
I love the blade finishes.The coco with mosaic pin is a beauty.
What do they retail for?
Cheers , Simon

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
It's not a HillBill.... But it's very nice :thumbup:

Nuggets.. "YOW Bear Yow Bear"
Bear.. "Eyup Chis... Can yor undastand a wurd e just sed? "

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
That is nice. thanks for posting. :)

There are quite a few knife makers here, I'm always checking out their stalls at the Budapest Hunting expo. Some fabulous work is always on display, now if only I had some spare cash. :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE