Human track through back country

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 11, 2012
United Kingdom
How long would it take for these tracks from where you have just walked to regrow, ie, when you have just walked through stinging nettles and long grass.

Regards jon

bear

Dec 30, 2004
ireland
Hi jonboy79,this tracking subsection has gone very quiet!best thing to do is keep checking the trampled area every two hours to establish the level of regrowth,or turgidity in the grass,nettle stems,grass should recover in about 6 hours,nettles may take a day,depending how badly bruised they are.that way you can build up your own timescale in your head.

May 11, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi jonboy79,this tracking subsection has gone very quiet!best thing to do is keep checking the trampled area every two hours to establish the level of regrowth,or turgidity in the grass,nettle stems,grass should recover in about 6 hours,nettles may take a day,depending how badly bruised they are.that way you can build up your own timescale in your head.

Cool, guess thats the most logical answer, cheers

Rumi

Forager
It all depends on the time of year and weather. 2-3 days to several weeks for nettles, long grass is different and may take less time. A skilled tracker would have little trouble discovering and following the marks..

Rumi

Forager
Judging by the marks left in the wild area which backs onto where I live 3 days is optimistic. More like 3-4 weeks. So if you regularly take the same path you will wear a path, if you take a different path each time and are being tracked then your marks will be found. Which could mean that if the intention is to move through back country without detection then you have no chance in both long grass and nettles. I can only wonder why a human might want to cross back country without detection, other than for escape and evasion in war. More risky and less detectable might be to use a more exposed footpath in darkness, but if the activity is criminal then poerhaps one should suppose that not only is one being tracked but also hunted and there may be a risk of ambush.

Rumi

Forager
Hi Jonboy79
I was out tracking in my backyard, so to speak, and considering that its a densly nettles area of scrub woodland reeds and nettles I thought I would do a blog post about tracking humans in this type of environment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE