Hugging tree's and Whoopie slings.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I now have a pair of Whoopie slings and a Pair of Tree Huggers from DD hammocks.

This leaves me with a question.

How do I use them?

Thanks

Julia

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
You can also use a properly rated crab or a soft shackle instead of the marlin hitch

[video=youtube;ZWIY0CBoH8k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWIY0CBoH8k[/video]

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Er, you can hang a hammock up with them. :)

The tree huggers go around the trees, if they have a little loop in each end you can put a shackle or carabiner through them and tie the whoopie slings to those.

The whoopie slings are to adjust the length of the lines supporting the hammock so you get the right catenary. You don't want the hammock to be too low in the middle or it will be uncomfortable and might even reach the ground, giving you a wet, er, experience.

There are loads of instructional videos if you do a bit of work with a search engine.

It's worth noting that if you hammock in the rain you need something to stop water trickling down the suspension and wicking into your hammock, your bedding, and you. That's why I use shackles, but there are specially made gadgets too - some are even made of titanium. :)

Whoopie slings aren't exactly intuitive. The idea is that when the cord is under tension there's a lot of friction generated between the inner cord and the outer which surrounds it and this prevents it from slipping. Without the tension you can slide the inner through the outer to adjust the length.

Have your slings got just one loop in them?

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Er, you can hang a hammock up with them. :)

I got that far, that's why I bought them :p

Whoopie slings aren't exactly intuitive. The idea is that when the cord is under tension there's a lot of friction generated between the inner cord and the outer which surrounds it and this prevents it from slipping. Without the tension you can slide the inner through the outer to adjust the length.

Have your slings got just one loop in them?

The slings have a big loop that seems to be adjustable in it's length, by pulling the cord, and the other end has a fixed loop.

J

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I got that far, that's why I bought them :p

The slings have a big loop that seems to be adjustable in it's length, by pulling the cord, and the other end has a fixed loop.

J

This should give you an idea bud..

[video=youtube;hfL4xmViFJ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfL4xmViFJ8[/video]

Basically hugger goes round tree and loops through itself or hooks on with something like a ducth clip or carabiner. You then put marlin hitch in rope with toggle and the large loop of whoopies hangs over the knot. The other end of sling then attaches to hammock gather or to another carabiner etc.

There are many different ways.

Last edited:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...The slings have a big loop that seems to be adjustable in it's length, by pulling the cord, and the other end has a fixed loop. J

That's all as expected. When you pick a couple of trees to hang the hammock from, adjust the whoopie slings to their maximum length, so that there's just a little bit of the inner protruding from the outer.

Then tree huggers are best if they make more than a complete turn around the tree, then there's a lot of friction and they won't slide down.

The trees will probably need to be separated by a bit more than you think at first. To get an idea of the maximum tree separation, with the whoopie slings fully extended just lay everything down on the ground stretched out end to end. Do the same with the whoopie slings as short as they will go as well, then you know the sort of range of distance you're looking for.

You can get by fine with only one whoopie sling, it's just to make an adjustment to the length of the suspension, but most people seem to use two.

I tend to use a few lengths of paracord or something to adjust the length of the suspension if I need a bit more length.

Whatever you use make sure it's strong enough, and that includes the trees! When you adjust a hammock fairly flat and then get into it, there's a lot of tension in the suspension - much more than your weight.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Whatever you use make sure it's strong enough, and that includes the trees! When you adjust a hammock fairly flat and then get into it, there's a lot of tension in the suspension - much more than your weight.

I found this:-

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

good thing for plugging numbers into to get an idea of lengths heights and weights/forces.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
not exactly sure of what your specific problem is, if its how to adjust the sling you just pull the end coming out of cord ''back on itself'' at an angle to shorten it, don't pull it in a straight line from where it exits cord double it back on itself to create an angle to pull on, to lengthen it you have to hold the loop end where the strand enters cord between fingers and slide cord back out to extend it, don't know if you can understand that, what is your specific problem, hanging method or adjustment method.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
For anyone struggling to understand how the whoopie slings works, think Chinese finger traps.

1930118642_1386007697.jpg

219537_f248.jpg

Dubbya explaining hammock suspensions to other world leaders.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
not exactly sure of what your specific problem is, if its how to adjust the sling you just pull the end coming out of cord ''back on itself'' at an angle to shorten it, don't pull it in a straight line from where it exits cord double it back on itself to create an angle to pull on, to lengthen it you have to hold the loop end where the strand enters cord between fingers and slide cord back out to extend it, don't know if you can understand that, what is your specific problem, hanging method or adjustment method.

I just wanted to know which bit attached where in the setup. I've never used whoopie slings or tree huggers before, and having had paracord snap on me when last I used my hammock, I wanted to upgrade to doing it properly, rather than living my life purely as an example for others in how not to do it...

My questions have been answered very nicely by both gootube videos above.

Thanks all

Julia

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I wanted to upgrade to doing it properly, rather than living my life purely as an example for others in how not to do it...

My questions have been answered very nicely by both gootube videos above.

glad you got sorted julia, i like your sense of humour, ATB have fun, :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE