How's your conkers?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
How you doing Orric?,

No conkers 'round here:(, but there is some beech mast and the sweet chestnut at the Docs is looking promising for a wee feed.

ATB,
Colin.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
7umatemu.jpg
juse5ygu.jpg
adeve6e6.jpg

Todays massive haul..

Now what on earth to do with them alll.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
From Wikipedia

In the past, horse-chestnut seeds were used in France and Switzerland for whitening hemp, flax, silk and wool. They contain a soapy juice, fit for washing of linens and stuffs, for milling of caps and stockings, etc., and for fulling of cloth. For this, 20 horse-chestnut seeds were sufficient for six litres of water. They were peeled then rasped, or dried and ground in a malt or other mill. The water must be soft, either rain or river water; hard well water will not work. The nuts are then steeped in cold water, which soon becomes frothy, as with soap, and then turns milky white. The liquid must be stirred well at first, and then, after standing to settle, strained or poured off clear. Linen washed in this liquid, and afterwards rinsed in clear running water, takes on an agreeable light sky-blue colour. It takes spots out of both linen and wool, and never damages or injures the cloth. Horse chestnuts can also be used to wash human hair. By pouring about 3/4 cup of boiling-hot water and 1 grated horse chestnut into a closed bottle and shaking it, a frothy white liquid emerges. This can also be strained and later poured over the head in the shower.[citation needed]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The leaves when crushed can also be used as an antiseptic soap in the field. (Or indeed made into soap.)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I've heard say that spiders don't like conkers. Not sure I believe that one.

Orric

The theory "Theory" is that the conkers attract mice so the spiders think that conkers will bring in mice and they'll eat the spiders. That's how it was put to me anyway. Seemed to work in the old house though - not done it here yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE