How waterproof is a swedish M90 parka?

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Just got a swedish M90 parka from the bay after seeing loads of mentions of them on here. Seems like a really good jacket and should keep me warm when out and about on walks, being under tall it does come past my knees but fits fine everywhere else.

The seller stated it as being windproof and showerproof and I was wondering how waterproof that is? Anyone been wearing one in the rain? I guess what Im asking is will it keep heavy rain off for a while or could it be worth nikwaxing it or another form of treatment I havent thought of. Just wondered as I dont want to have to carry another jacket in case it rains. (not sure if theres new or old versions of this parka but mine says 1989 on the label)

Any other advice/opinions on the M90 parka would be great, cheers. :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
The standard jacket isn't waterproof ~ nikwax (or type) will help water bead on the surface for a short while. I've used mine in short burst rain and I remained warm and dry ~ I'm yet to test it in prolonged rain or heavy down pours.
The thing to remember is that it's designed for cold dry weather ~ it doesn't have a waterproof membrane. The good new is that the M90 is fast drying :approve:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I'm curious too....just accuired a 1991 model....deciding wether to trade it on or keep it as I've more coats than an old kitchen stool.

They are a smart look piece of kit and I hope yours serves you well.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
The standard jacket isn't waterproof ~ nikwax (or type) will help water bead on the surface for a short while. I've used mine in short burst rain and I remained warm and dry ~ I'm yet to test it in prolonged rain or heavy down pours.
The thing to remember is that it's designed for cold dry weather ~ it doesn't have a waterproof membrane. The good new is that the M90 is fast drying :approve:

Fast drying sounds good, wonder how long it'll keep the rain off.

I'm curious too....just accuired a 1991 model....deciding wether to trade it on or keep it as I've more coats than an old kitchen stool.

They are a smart look piece of kit and I hope yours serves you well.

I just got it as its cheap and if the Swedish army use it in cold weather it must be pretty warm, I mainly got it just to live in the boot of my car but I really like it so it could be my walking coat. SWMBO isnt too impressed as I must have 6 or 7 winter coats already, I think its an addiction but you can never have too many coats....:)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... wonder how long it'll keep the rain off.

I've been told that there's a silicon based waterproofer designed for use on horse rugs* ~ I haven't used it, so cannot comment as to how effective it is or whether (or how) it would affect the material.

* The coats their owners put on them in cold/wet months to keep them warm out in the fields

SWMBO isnt too impressed as I must have 6 or 7 winter coats already, I think its an addiction but you can never have too many coats....:)

You need to get her to wear it outside then ):rofl:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Brilliant cold-weather coats (and you can use it as a cloak as well with the attached straps). I've used it in moderate rain, and never had water penetrate, but its not waterproof and will eventually soak through. Solution is to use a poncho over it in heavy rain!

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I've been told that there's a silicon based waterproofer designed for use on horse rugs* ~ I haven't used it, so cannot comment as to how effective it is or whether (or how) it would affect the material.

Might be worth looking at, any ideas what it was called? Will do some research and see if its ok to use on the material.

Brilliant cold-weather coats (and you can use it as a cloak as well with the attached straps). I've used it in moderate rain, and never had water penetrate, but its not waterproof and will eventually soak through. Solution is to use a poncho over it in heavy rain!

Thanks for clearing that up, I couldnt figure out what those straps were for. Poncho is a good idea, may have to sling one in a pocket for now but would prefer to waterproof the jacket if possible.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Might be worth looking at, any ideas what it was called? Will do some research and see if its ok to use on the material.

No idea at all :eek: ~ (apparently) if you go into or call an equestrian type shop and explain what you're after, they'll know what you mean. I keep meaning to pop into our local tack shop to pick some up, I opted for a fold-away hood and, as i don't use it, I can have an experiment :D .

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Just remembered Ive got some TX direct wash in somewhere at home (won it in their webquiz, not much of a prize as its only a one use sachet but it was free) may give that a try and see how it goes, anyone used it?

Failing that I'll look for some horse blanket waterproofer as that might be a bit more powerful.

Thanks for the advice so far guys. Think Im going to be very happy with my new coat even if I dont manage to waterproof it, but fingers crossed nikwax will do the job and if not a poncho will do.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I would not waterproof it in any way. The big bugbear in the cold is humidity, and anything that keeps water from migrating out is bad.

And I have two. One of the hooded ones (but in the new non-noisy-when-cold fabrics) that I have pimped with a fur ruff, and one hoodless, which I use when hunting in a static mode. it has loops for the radio sewn on, and I have actually considered adding panels of blaze orange to it as well.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Not waterproof at all, not designed for rain, more dry cold so for goodness sake don't go hiking in open and exposed areas without a waterproof shell.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Not at all waterproof, but thick enough that it takes a while for water to penetrate. I stood in heavy rain for 20 minutes waiting for a bus last week, and it kept me dry, but water would have been getting through if I had been there much longer.

Utterly windproof though, and wonderfully warm. Can't really fault it for what it is.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
... being under tall it does come past my knees but fits fine everywhere else.
So does mine - sized correctly by the Swedish system of height and weight. It's more of a "climb into it when you stop" type jacket. The matching quilted trousers are awesome too :D

...so for goodness sake don't go hiking in open and exposed areas without a waterproof shell.
The jacket is far too warm to even think about hiking in it in UK temperatures :)

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I wore it last night and its very warm, very pleased with my cheap jacket apart from the poppers on the storm flap and pockets are very noisy - they sound like sleigh bells, very festive! I dont think Im going to waterproof it if it affects the breathability. I have a lightweight goretex jacket and was wondering about wearing that with the M90 on top, just in case I do get caught in a heavy down pour. Not sure if goretex can be used as a waterproof underlayer or whether I'll get sweaty....anyone tried it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE