How to wash Snugpak jackets?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
I've had a Snugpak airpak lightweight jacket for about 4 years and it wasn't until my daughter vomited on it last week that I noticed how grubby its become.

Its a great jacket, light as a feather but still warm, reversible from OG to Black and the last thing I want to do is ruin it in the washing machine.

I check the Snugpak site and (unlike Buffalo) they don't have any washing instructions posted - anybody had similar experience? Do you just "bung it in" or does it need a special treatment?

Thanks.

Lifthasir

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Yorks
Is it a down fill or a man made fibre fill?

Either way, the best way is to use Nikwax. Log on to their
web site www.nikwax.co.uk for further details.

I did an Ajungilak Kompact bag and proceeded carefully in
the bath. I cleaned the bath thoroughly and then rinsed it.
I then used a touch of diluted Nikwax Techwash (if down
item - use a touch of Downwash)to do it again to remove
chemical/soap deposits. I then carefully followed Nikwax's
instructions and used only lukewarm water. For down, you'll
need Nikwax Downwash. For manmade, you'll need Nikwax
Polarproof.

With down, after washing, you'll need a flat gentle-drying
place and you'll need to tease a plump the jacket every few
hours until it's bone dry.

I've found that the various Nikwax products work well on just
about everything it says on the bottles.

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
I've just stumbled into this same problem! I've two Softie jackets - one reversable and one old school (which is looking really worn after 3 years of abuse on the farm!). I got some birthing juices on it today curtousy of an oversized calf in an undersized mum and decided that I really need to wash it!

I've already scrubbed it free of all the manky fluids, but want to get it through the washing machine tomorrow.

Is it Nikwax Techwash??? Shall I also give it a blast with some Nikwax TX Wash-in as well??? I do bags of work out doors in it, and have noticed a fair bit of seepage recently - I wondered if a blast of Wash-in might work???

Has anybody tried/suceeded with this method?

RGRBOX

Forager
Problem with a lot of the fillers used in Jkts, and Bags is that when the were shipped to the manufactures of the bags, and jkts, they are glued, and compressed into sheets. Once they have been washed clean of the glue they are then cut and put inside of the bag or jkt being made.. because of this most fillers loose between 10 to 30% of their insulating properties.. and after washing they can loose again the same %s. I try to go with companies that make the fillers them selves.. and keep away from the others.. and I only wash something when I have no other chose.. as can be seen above you guys had no chose, and my kids have done the same to me. I think the Nikway is a very good way to go.. and sometimes I just was in the machine at 30º and let air dry.. or the most painful thing is just throw it away, or wash it and use it for something else.. If you use your kit oftern, and have it for a couple of years, then it's probably best to re-invest into another one.. I sometimes, find myself going back to a shop, and buying a second piece of kit once I've found something I love, and works great, just for the fact of my loosing it or it getting too dirty.. and that way, I don't have to re-invest in trying to find something that deosn't excist anymore... I know too expencive.. but I learned once that sometimes two is better then one, when my daughter threw out her stuffed Rabbit on a trip to town one day when she was two years old, and I didn't get any sleep that night.. I went out and bought two new rabbits but couldn't find the same model..

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I just chuck my softee in the wash and use less washing liquid, seems to work fine this is also the way i do my snugpak antarctica sleeping bag.
louis

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
From Snugpak themselves:

Snugpak sales team said:
We recommend you use a 40 degree or lower wash cycle with non-biological liquid and no fabric conditioner. You can tumble-dry the jackets on LOW - do not use the high setting as the fabric will melt, or you can line-dry them. When washed they can be waterproofed using Nikwax for synthetic fibres. If they just need freshening up you can sponge them down with a mild soapy solution and then with clean water.

Why is it that I get a more comprehensive answer from you chaps than from the manufacturer!!! Anyways, thanks for the help!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE