How to use the Victorinox sharpening stone?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Windex is detergent & weak ammonia for cleaning house windows and vehicle glass.
Very effective after a Canadian winter of condensed cooking smells on the cold windows.

The sole purpose of the liquid is to act as a vehicle to carry away the swarf of smashed abrasive and metal particles.
The result is a clean cutting surface that isn't clogged up. Water stones, oil stones, exactly the same concept.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Our blue Windex contains ammonia. It says so on the front label. Our green Windex is ammonia-free.
I want enough solvent action that I only have to do the job once.

I suspect that our houses are a lot tighter due to the climatic extremes. I saw +40C in the shade on the balcony the other day. I saw -32C one winter morning at sunrise.
18C in the kitchen is nice in the winter.

As far as that Victorinox sharpening rod is concerned, do they reveal the grit size? Less than 400, I wouldn't use it = too coarse.
If I was packing that on a hike, I'd use water for vehicle. Water dries up. No mess. Oil soaks into everything plus you have to remember to bring oil.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
To be honest I use water on my diamond hones but thats because I don't want oil all over the place where I'm sharpening as its usually in someone else's building.

I always dry the hone and tool off afterwards though.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Washing up liquid works instead of oil on 'oilstones'. Keeps the metal particles in suspension so they don't get embedded in the stone, then you can just rinse it off.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
For the cleanest use of diamond stones you can use them dry and clean them with a pencil eraser - it works best with stones with gaps in them...

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I get good results with spit (on a DC4). Seems to stay on the stone longer than water and gives a better finish IMO.

Maybe so but the first person who borrows my diamond hone and hacks a loogie all over it gets a slap across the back of the lug.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE