How to tan a rabbit pelt?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jazz006

Jun 7, 2013
Dundee
Hi guys, just back from the bushcraft show and my daughter got herself some rabbit pelts from the game prep demos. What's the best way to tan them without the use of lots of chemicals.

Thanks
Jazz

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Someone had to be childish and puerile, so I thought "why not me?"

20914bl.jpg

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
When I had some that had lingered in the freezer for a year, I defrosted them, then scraped clean as best I could, dried them pout with salt over 1 week, washed in warm water, wrung them out, then coated them on the flesh side with egg yolk and olive oil mix, rubbed in and left in a plastic bag overnight.
Then, washed clean again, dried out to damp, stretching them and working them till dry (took a while but not too long), then finally smoked them over a (smoky) fire till tan/brown. It seemed to work ok, there was some fur loss from them being in the freezer for a long time, and I'm no great expert on this, but it was fun to do...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE