How to strike a steel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
I was lucky to get the fire steel in this picture (the blade went to someone else)

191639324_9b03d907aa.jpg

My question, is how the heck are you 'supposed' to hold the darn thing in your hand as you strike down with your bit of flint?

Rgds

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
You should strike the steel onto the flint, not flint onto the steel.

I found easiest way was to put my index finger and little fingers through the loops, but some prefer to hold it in between thumb and forefinger.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Wrap your charcloth over your flint and hold twixt forefinger and thumb.

Hold the steel by the curly bits and clip the edge of the flint/cloth smartly with a downward flick of the (steel holding) wrist.

Having done it once,it should be simple to keep doing it. :cool:

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
What a “donut” I have been! I was sure, until now, that one struck the steel with £300 worth of Alan Wood Damascus!! :lmao:

Cheers

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Its almost like banging out a chord on a guitar....
A deft flick of the wrist to present the flat of the steel to the sharp edge of flint without smashing the edge to pieces.

You'll soon pick it up ;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
Ta muchly chaps, most appreciated.

And thanks British Red, nice tutorial, I will have a go. I dont have char cloth as I use a tinder tube, but will experiment on the weekend :)

Rgds

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE