how to shorten ropes on a tarp

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I am trying 2m lengths of cord to the corners of my poncho so it is easier to set up. I have use a rewoven figure of 8 knot to secure the cord into the eyelets but I have this length of cord dangling down which I want to shorten so I can still use it as a poncho without much hassle.

How should I shorten it to keep it tidy?

Thanks,
Asa.

Andyre

Forager
Apr 20, 2007
Abingdon, Oxon
Cobweb beat me to it.
I call it daisy chaining. we use it for storing confidence ropes in a rucsac when leading groups. the advantage is when you pull it back out it wont knot together.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Thanks for the idea, it's a new one on me and I'll be using it at some point but It's leaving quite a long braid and I am looking to pack it away quite small.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I would have thought hanking would keep it tidy and out the way..... sinnet's just shorten the length.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Have a look at this one: Two-Handed Rope Chain

Thanks again to Mr Pict for posting that one. It's related to the chain knotting but is more compact.

For hanking half the rope, take the rope in half, then half again and again until you have sensible length and tie the whole lot with a thumb knot.

(have I beaten Graham to it?)

some body actually used a Poncho as a rain proof :eek: never found tehn nice to wear

you may find even tied up the ropes get caught up on every thing or you stand still at a Moot and find your self pegged out as the middle of a Tepee :lmao:

i would not tie on permenant lines if you intend to wear it

ATB

Duncan

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Thanks for all the replies, I think I might just end up detaching them after all that!

Just been out in the garden and set up my poncho, I'm really tempted to sleep in it tonight! here's some pics :D

2eb4b3c.jpg

2a9a89e.jpg

It's fair weather, and the weekend so what's stopping me from sleeping out there? :D Apart from the fact I've never sleep wild camping like this.... Oh well, If I pluck up the confidence I might :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
just fold the cord a few times then tie a knot in it. simple:)

pete

Ahh but the benefit of hanking as Ray demonstrates is that....
You can grasp the hanked cord and pull out as much as you need, leaving the free end still bundled up and so out of any mud/thorns etc.
Then when you have tied your slippery adjustable guy hitch, the remaining cord can be tucked between the two lengths of guy as a positional indicator (showing where the guyline is) as well as keeping it neat, tidy and clean as mentioned above.

Horses for courses though

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE