How to Sharpen a Knife Using a Whetstone

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Dear all,
I'm collecting information about sharpening using a whetstone. I'm not worried about the technique, there are a lot of videos on Youtube, but I have some problems in understanding the grain. Expecially I'd like to know from which grain to which grain the sharpening proceed. Any help, please?

Fat Rog

Forager
Sep 30, 2012
Rotherham, S. Yorks
Start with the smaller number and then move to the higher, so if for example you have a 2000 and a 4000 grain, start with the 2000 then move tom 4000. The Grain (or grit) relates to the amount of grains per square inch, the more grains you have the finer the finish it will give. It's the same with sandpaper/ emery cloth etc.

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Thank you to all. Just two additional questions:

1) any advice for the brand or seller?
2) If I understand well I must start from 250 to 6000 if the blade is in very bad condition, but for a "normal " sharpening I must start from the range 1000-1200 to 6000 plus leather strop for finishing. is it correct?

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Dunno if this has been mentioned here before?..

If you want to finish with a ceramic stone for fine sharpening but don't have one?

Turn a mug upside down. Look for the mugs that are worn. ( where the glaze has worn away) Does the same thing apparently, I tested it with a cheap fruit knife and it seemed to work.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Dunno if this has been mentioned here before?..

If you want to finish with a ceramic stone for fine sharpening but don't have one?

Turn a mug upside down. Look for the mugs that are worn. ( where the glaze has worn away) Does the same thing apparently, I tested it with a cheap fruit knife and it seemed to work.

Car window edge does the same.

EZ-now

Nov 8, 2012
Nether Kellet
6000 isn't particularly fine. I use a natural stone that has a 9000 grain. If you stay on top of your blade and sharpen it every time you use it it'll stay sweet for years.
My current stone is Japanese and quite soft so I use it very lightly to prevent dishing. Even so it has to be flattened every couple of months and I only get about a year out of each stone. That's the cost of carrying it whenever I'm out though.
Basically you should aim to get your blade there and keep it there. And I wouldn't recommend stropping unless your blade is cutting light duty.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE