How to make Biltong

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
ok here it is i have had a few people asking me how i make my biltong and yes their are hundreds of diffrent ways, biltong boxes, raks, sheds, fan boxs ect i have used this system for the last 9 years of living in the UK its easy and simple to make and it works extreamly well.

[--$--$--$--$--]
[ £ £ £ £ ]
[ ]
[ (*) ]
[ | ]
------------------

$ represent's metal meat hooks can be made from a old coat hanger boilt first befor useing hooks
£ represent's your prepeard steak
the [ ] and --- represent your u frame mine is about one meater hight by one meater wide i used L bends at each coner and the base is a slightly broader plank than the rest for stability
(*)
| this represent's your light i use a old bed side lamp with out a lampshade on.

what you need
so lets get started first off you will need your meat can be lamb venision or beef as i have chosen for this explanation
Beef (Preferably Silverside/London Broili if you in the USA)
Rock Salt
Coarse Ground Black Pepper
Coarse Ground Coriander
Vinegar (preferably Apple-Cider vinegar)
one oven tray / casoroll dish basically a dish larg enough so
you can spread all your meat out in.
you also need a smaller bowl for the viniger
and lastly a small tray or plate

so to start take your oven tray and pour a good layer of Rock Salt in it covering the whole tray then take your meat and put it into the tray and then cover the top of your meat with a good layer of Rock Salt let it sit for 30 minutes to one hour depending how salty you want it i normaly leave it for the 30 minutes.

after 30 minutes get your bowl of viniger hold your meat over the bowl useing your fingers wash off the excess salt from the meat with the viniger make sure all the meat gets a coat of viniger.

now put your meat on your plate and spice with Black Pepper and Coriander you can also add chilli do this to both sides of your meat.

now hang your spiced meat useing the boilled hooks around the light bulbe i use a 60-100 what buble depends what i have at the time. Important leave the lamp light on 24 hours a day dont turn it off. should take 3-6 days depends how dry you like it, pinch it in your fingers the firmer it is the dryer it is.

ALSO turn your meat every 12 hours or at least once a day so both sides get exposed to the heat also check for mold every time you turn the meat if you see a spot or even if its a large area of mold DONT THROW YOUR MEAT AWAY simply wash the area with some more viniger and make sure its all off then hang it back up. please make sure your meat is hanging next to your buble prop your lamp up if its not close enough. i hang 4 steaks around one lamp.

sorry this is so long i wanted to give as much detail as i could without photos its harder to explain but i simply dont have space to be making biltong at the moment any questions please just ask i will try and explain anything your not sure of. please remember this is only advice on how i make it and cant be held liable for any ill health or sickness it may cause you.

Last edited:

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Interesting! - thanks for this Karl

I presume the steak is in steak sized pieces rather than thin slices like jerky. I make jerky in my dehydrator, do you think I could make biltong in a similar way?

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
yea use Steak size pieces no need to cut it smaller unless you want to. you could try the dehydrator although i have never used one. jerky is normaly dryed over smoke where as biltong is air dryed we used to hand biltong on the washing line with a bug net over it the South Africa. ok this is a spice mix you can try for a traditonal SA flavor biltong spicey, 300g coarse ground dry roasted coriander seed
90g smoky paprika 30g Paprika 30g Cayenne pepper mix it all up befor you spice your meat.

Last edited:

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Hi There,

Could you do this similar method with phesant meat? or would you be setting yourself up for a serious illness.

Just for talking sake how firm should this be to touch? i.e. if you were to squeeze it? just so I know its getting where it should be

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
you could do this to any meat game meats especially nice like this. if you pinch the meat and you can easily leave a impression of your fingers its still to wet basikly you looking for a hard outer layer on the meat and depends on tast how dry you want it the center if you have had it up for 2-3 days and been turning every 12 hours and you just not sure cut a small slice off the bottom and take a look.

when dry should look something like this.

if not sure cut it and check should have a similer consistancy to this.

the longer you leave it the dryer it will get even once taken away from the lamp also please note dont store it in a plastic bag or a cealed dish leave it out in the open hanging like in the top pic as it will sweat witch means basicly moisture is still evaporating out of the meat and it will go moldy and rancied if cealed in a bag or dish.

Last edited:

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
i hope it as good as the biltong i make :) damb i need to make time and space to get some made prob after xmass now :(

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
mate the stuff you brought to NW is the best i have had in the UK. whats the bet the wife will get me to make the biltong when its her who has asked for the box all year lol. I am hoping she brings me some stuff back tomorrow.

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
Got me first batch in the dehydrator Karl! didn't have quite enough of some of the spices but have made a close approximation of the traditional recipe you posted. Will let you know how it turns out! If it's good, I've got more spice mix left, will bring some to the next Super Sausage eh? :D

Cheers,

Iona/Woodsy...

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
I'd love to know if a dehydrator works. My friend brought me some Kudu biltong back from a shop in Doreset (I think) the other day - it cost £10 for a smallish lump of it!!! Whoooomph I had eaten it by the next day.

If anyone is interested the shop was www.no1southafricanshop.co.uk

Tank - My goodness, I never knew anyone actually lived in Carterton... The Golden Eagle was our watering hole while I was at BZN :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE