How to legally dispose of an Air Rifle in Scotland 2024

YEOLDOAK

Jun 28, 2015
uk
Currently sitting in storage amongst household items which needs to be cleared are a couple of Pre-charged pneumatic sub 12ft Airguns,
Air Arms S410 carbine 10 shot from 2006 and a Titan Bearcat from around 1996, these have been sitting forgotton for the best part
of 15 yrs, covered and oiled prior to storage, things have changed in the law of ownership in Scotland since then
so its a case of how to go about there disposal.
Am of the mind to perhaps aproach a shooting shop in person without the Airguns to see if there is a procedure to sell to the gunshop ?
or is it a case of just let the police dispose of them ?
There is of course some value in them whense my thoughts on approaching a gun shop, ideally if someone with a valid licence,
permit purchased them for a discount sum, but unless its a face to face sale, as posting seems out of the question due to
carriers rules not to mention the law on such item, its difficult to know how to go about it, whense my asking.

I would very much appreciate some advice, insight on how best to go about things.
Thanks

YEOLDOAK

Jun 28, 2015
uk
I dont hold any Air Gun certificate in Scotland, no BASC insurance
or shooting permission, all lapsed many years ago, that puts me in a spot
whereby I shouldnt have these ? under Scotlands law so how could I post
when technically its ilegal as is for me to have ? unless I'm mistaken ?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Ah, sorry, missed the Scotland bit :)

A visitors permit is only £20 so, if you have a friend over the border, they could get a visitors permit, come and pick the airguns up from you legally, then sell them in England for you.

I suppose it depends how far south you are in the country.

You could probably do the same with a gun shop though too. Perhaps a bit dodgy taking them there and you won't get full value.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
I know someone who might be interested in the Titan Bearcat.

You can do a shop transfer generally known as (although technically through an) RFD (Registered Firearms Dealer).

YEOLDOAK

Jun 28, 2015
uk
A visitors permit thats an interesting thought,
Yes someone coming to my door with a ticket would be ideal, they could
have the lot including the dive tank : ) though I'm in the Inverness area which
doesnt help.
If I walk into a gunshop with said items, I technically would not be allowed
to leave the shop with them ? meaning I would have to accept any offer if
a gunshop was to buy, or not buy and then where would I be ?

YEOLDOAK

Jun 28, 2015
uk
"Can´t you even own and shoot airrifles without some certificate?!"

The ball ache to get the certificate for a sub 12ft, you have to apply and give reasons
as to why to the Police, written consent with details of your shooting permision
amongsts others, and then it can still get rejected.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
meaning I would have to accept any offer if
a gunshop was to buy, or not buy and then where would I be ?
I don't not be telling the shop if you have a licence or not, if that's the case. Offer to them, get the price you're happy with, or if they don't offer what you're after, move onto another shop. Not sure why they need to know if you have a licence or not until after you've completed the sale, by which point you've agreed a price.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE