How Much!!??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Even if it is genuine 1940s ( looks good for its age ) i reckon theres better out there for less money. Saying that,its current condition could be testament to how good it is. Personally, i'd want newer for the money. MM have got all kinds of foreign cold weather coats for around 20 to 30 quid iirc

Last edited:

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
They are supposed to be white. Never seen them in any other colour. They must have dyed it?

It should look like this:
file.php

But I've now found references that there supposedly are grey-green versions out there. The company who made them are still in business. The quality of the sheepskin is supposed to be very very good. A real fur jacket like this would probably be a lot more expensive new. And now we can add the "vintage" (a really stupid oxymoron) to the value...

Edit:
Pic from army museum in stockholm:
file.php

Sold here in sweden for a staggering £481! (http://www.desertrat.se/norden-sverige/sverige/livpals-m-1910-farskinn-sverige/)

Last edited:

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
They are supposed to be white. Never seen them in any other colour. They must have dyed it?

It should look like this:
file.php

But I've now found references that there supposedly are grey-green versions out there. The company who made them are still in business. The quality of the sheepskin is supposed to be very very good. A real fur jacket like this would probably be a lot more expensive new. And now we can add the "vintage" (a really stupid oxymoron) to the value...

Edit:
Pic from army museum in stockholm:
file.php

Sold here in sweden for a staggering £481! (http://www.desertrat.se/norden-sverige/sverige/livpals-m-1910-farskinn-sverige/)

Great Reply, thanks for the info! I must admit it would be a warm coat and having been worn in the film "Enemy at the Gates" it does have the "cool factor"!

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Great Reply, thanks for the info! I must admit it would be a warm coat and having been worn in the film "Enemy at the Gates" it does have the "cool factor"!

Definitely, I wouldn't mind one to use around town, bar the price tag and the rather boxy cut. For wood use, I prefer better performance per weight. But as a 'civilian' overcoat, I wouldn't mind paying the ebay price,, maybe.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I had one many years ago, when they were quite common in army surplus shops. Very heavy, very warm, although never did get rid of the lingering smell of army surplus mothballs! Wife disliked it for that reason, although she was more than happy to use it as a very warm and comfy groundsheet at Knebworth (Led Zep's final British performance, for those who appreciate the classics:) )

ps - mine was a grey colour, by the way, which appeared to be the most common colour around at that time. 1944 vintage, if I remember correctly.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Too heavy for anything but static camps, I used mine when camping out of the Landy.
Don't worry about damaging it in the woods, you will not be able to!
Toughest warmest coat out there bar none, I have slepy out in mine. But heavy!
get one while you still can, they make you smile!
Best.
Chris.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Ah yes - they are seriously sturdy bits of kit! When I first got mine I could literally stand it up on its own, the canvas outer is that rigid. It does soften up with use, but you could stroll through briar patches and thornbushes with impunity!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE