How much was yer twybill Jack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
So jack-how much did you pay for your twybill, or did you find it hidden in a wall or under an old floor or something. I'd seen them before but never used one. Theyre mentioned in salamans dictionary of tools.
I reckon it was about 10/- or 11/6d :wink:

MR D :wave:

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Hope you are sitting down Mr D :shock:

I bought that in the early 90's and it cost me just over £100 :yikes: :cry: :yikes: :shock: :cry:

Yeah, I know............but I have already been called that!

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
you didn't buy from tony murland did you?? :wink:
Or sothebies?? :wink:
From the photo it looks like it hasn't been sharpened or used recently. But if its a good tool it'd still be worth the £100 investment to a hurdle maker & would probaly last a life time.
Do you make the hurdles (5 bar ones)??

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
mr dazzler said:
you didn't buy from tony murland did you?? :wink:
Or sothebies?? :wink:
From the photo it looks like it hasn't been sharpened or used recently. But if its a good tool it'd still be worth the £100 investment to a hurdle maker & would probaly last a life time.
Do you make the hurdles (5 bar ones)??

It hasn't been used for many years as in the end I decided to hang it up out of the way. They are a wonderful tool, in the right hands and like all woodland tools, they are very efficent.

The price was, to some, very expensive and outrageous, to me, it was cheap as they are priceless.

We do supply new ones and I use one of them in the making of gate hurdles.

Gate hurdles to me are only beaten by the wattles. Gate hurdles are a real pleasure to produce.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Yes Jack they always look good even when old and knocked about a bit. I once saw some with copper nails rivetted over like on viking boats.
I've seen the big version of the twybill (like they use in timber framing) for sale in supermarkets and builders merchants in France. Would probaly be classed as a weapon here. :roll:
I am thinking about a oak post and cleft chestnut rail fence to put round my property in France.
Just another thought-is it possible that "coppice" derives from the french word "couper" (to cut)?

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Just another thought-is it possible that "coppice" derives from the french word "couper" (to cut)?[/QUOTE said:
That is exactly where is comes from, but we are going to be puritans about, so it is actually 'Norman French'. :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE