how much paracord to use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

no2lurch

Aug 7, 2012
Cannock
As I have been recomended to come to you, and as you seem friendly and helpful, I was wondering... I am new to paracord weaving and I am keen to make bracelets, keyrings, Lanyards etc, but my biggest problem is starting. I am finding it hard to know how much cord i'll need. I mean, I tried to make a bracelet last night, but didnt know how much to cut for length. I got half way weaving it and realised i wouldnt have enough to finish so i unpicked it all and started again on something else! is there some sort of rule to use when cutting the cord. like 1 foot equates to x length of cobra stitch weaving?

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Hi mate. A rough rule of thumb with a single cobra weave is 1 foot is 1 inch. If your wrist is 7 inch circumference, add a half to 1 inch extra as the bracelet is thicker that a tape measure.
Have fun.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Measurements for paracord woggles (makes: a 5" circumference woggle)
Inner cord: 14 inches
Layer 1: 40 inches
Layer 2: 2 x 26 inches

1. Measure your/their wrist to get the measurement of the piece needed for the inner cord (Woggle inner: 14in to give ~5in circumference - kaiser, please correct if wrong) and divide the inner cord measurement by the circumference 14/5=2.8, this give us a ratio to go by.

2. Using a wrist measurement of 7" (wrist measure + 1" to be generous), do 7*2.8=19.6.
This gives us an inner cord measurement of 19.6" 3. Take the L1 and L2 measurements and times them also by 2.8 to give the amount of cord required

So your required lengths should be (haven't tested these measurements, just thinking logically):
Inner cord: 19.6 inches
Layer 1: 112 inches
Layer 2: 2 x 72.8 inches

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Back when I sold the bracelets. It was all marked on my board for different measurements.
If you are using buckle or shackle fastening, cut the required length. Like I say, I used a foot per inch plus an extra inch. Then lay out the 2 inner lengths (cobra weave) to the measurement of your wrist plus the inch. Don't let it tighten or slip on the first 2 weaves. After that your done.
I had a bulldog clip nailed to a desk, the buckle clipped into it. The other end clipped onto me, this way I had use of both hands and could whistle through them quickly with even tension.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE