How much is a paired set of 12 point red deer antlers really likely to sell for ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Son1's friend's father found a set on the hill twenty years ago. Sound, undamaged, and with the intent of doing 'something' with them, they've been in the loft since.
Clearing out, and I said they should be worth something; she's not in a well paid job, but she loves working with animals, just that money's always got two roads :sigh:

Anyway, I'm struggling to find somewhere where she can sell them, and struggling to find a reasonable price to expect.

Does anyone have some idea of what could be feasibly asked to sell them to sell and not sit on a list for ages, but not leave her short, iimmc ?

atb,
M

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
How longs a bit of string Mary?

It will depend on overall size, spread, symmetry, skull or skull plate present, etc. My guess would probably be around £60-£120. Any pics?

They are a pain in the backside to pack safely though as you don't want to impale a postie/courier.

p.s.

You could check ebay, prices will probably be all over the place!

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks Chris :)

They looked sound and they looked symmetrical. I'll ask Fiona to send me a photo though.
Cast, no skull plate, no saw marks, no chips and no chewing marks.

The prices on the bay were all over the place, and when I tried the 'dealers' they were asking silly money for one antler, and buttons for another.
I just had no idea how to gauge a price at all :dunno:

I'll see about a photo, and maybe a weight ? I reckon they could be packed in bubble wrap in a box and sent by one of the couriers who do the weight/standard sized box for a set fee, if she does find someone interested in buying them.

I was reluctant to cut them up, tbh, so said I'd ask around and see if there was some kind of figure for them whole and as a set.

Thanks again :)
M

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Shame there's no skull but depending on the other factors and without seeing them I'd guess around £40-70 as the're paired Royals. This is only a guesstimate!
I hate the look myself, but you could put them on eBay after you've mounted them and sprayed them silver or gold and sell them as interior design pieces, you could get more?

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's the kind of information I didn't have :) So, the plate makes them a better sell, but the pair is still better than a single.

I know that she would just like to clear them away without any fuss, so gold spraying ain't happening :)

atb,
Mary

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think the lower end of that estimate to be honest - £30 to £40 if they are well matched and all tines intact. Most people like them on a plate or full skull as they are hard to mount as casts (but not impossible).

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
Having bought and looked at many pieces / whole antlers over the years I'd agree with the above. A decent condition cast matched pair would be about 40-50 quid depending on condition and where you sell them. I've seen singles in junk shops for a fiver or pairs in curiosity/ retro cool shops for £50

I might be interested in them pending a photo. I've had an antler sent down from the isle of Uist before with no issues. Hope this helps.

Jim

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
TODDY:

Its free listing over Easter on Ebay - so would cost you nothing to try and the opening price can be watch she wants with no costs. If sh e gets no bids halfway through she can always reduce

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a very good idea :D I've asked her for photos, but it's the Easter holidays and it's manic at work for her just now.

The help is appreciated gentlemen :D

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE