How much beeswax do I need?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Ive got some projects planned for the coming weeks, I want to make a Leather tankard, and a leather water bottle/wine flask.

I know i need to wax these to make them water proof, my question is what wax to use and how much i'll need.

Please can anyone shed any light, or post links to decent suppliers for example.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you can't barter with Tengu for the beeswax, I buy mine from Midfords. They sell it pelleted so it's easy to weigh out and easy to melt. They sell brilliant wicks too, they weave them in England so none of this not quite sure what we're burning stuff from someplace third world.
They have an ebay shop, great place to buy a couple of blocks or by the kilo :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pure-Bead...Candle_SoapMaking_EH&var=&hash=item43c919233d

atb,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you want to "dip" the tankard you will need a lot (several kilos), if you paint it on, much less :)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
The answer to the question "How much bees wax do I need?" is always "more". You can never have too much beeswax.

Sorry this isn't the most helpful answer, but get more than you think you need. Worse case you make the best candles you've ever burned with any excess.

Julia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE