How long did your trousers last?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I am interested to learn about, how many days of use (approximately) which trousers model of which outdoor brand lasts in a usual mix of outdoor use and every day wearing.

Of course I am interested too if you wear military surplus or working trousers.

Please tell us about the material of the fabric and also the usual sell price.

Of course may trousers last a bit shorter if they cost a fraction of others.

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
Two pairs of craghopper kiwis worn turn and turn about lasted four years.

Montane Terra worn 6 days a week for 4 years. Second pair of Montane Terras 5 years so far and still going strong. Not cheap but they have outlasted any other trousers I have ever owned and they are very comfortable and fast drying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Erbswurst

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
2 pairs of Fjallraven Barrents pros, worn pretty much every day for 8 years (granted, i only wear them in the evenings during the week as they aren't chainsaw proof). 1 pair the a@se is starting to go, the others, there are a few holes (most likely fag burns). I do keep them well waxed in the winter.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I am interested to learn about, how many days of use (approximately) which trousers model of which outdoor brand lasts in a usual mix of outdoor use and every day wearing.

Some Martindale readings for different kind of general outdoor fabrics as collected from a 1986 Finnish study:

Cotton twill, 8-9 oz/ft2 = 25,000 - 47,000
50/50 % Polyester-cotton twill, 8-9 oz/ft2 = 25,000 - 90,000
Wool gabardine, 9 oz/ft2 = 50,000 - 83,000
60/40 % Polyamide-cotton twill, 7 oz/ft2 = >350,000

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I have rohan trousers, 4 pairs that I wear in rotation every day for the last 10 years, still look like new and the best fit of any trousers I ever had. Plus there warranty is amazing, replace or refund if any material fault, even after 10 years of use.

I have never regretted any Rohan clothing purchase

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst and MrEd

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@Martti

Do you know who sells outdoor clothing that is made out of that 60/40 % Polyamide-cotton twill ???

Or are you able to ask the makers of the study about?

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Some Martindale readings for different kind of general outdoor fabrics as collected from a 1986 Finnish study:

Cotton twill, 8-9 oz/ft2 = 25,000 - 47,000
50/50 % Polyester-cotton twill, 8-9 oz/ft2 = 25,000 - 90,000
Wool gabardine, 9 oz/ft2 = 50,000 - 83,000
60/40 % Polyamide-cotton twill, 7 oz/ft2 = >350,000
I knew that PA takes wear better than PE but would not have guessed the difference to be that large.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Do you know who sells outdoor clothing that is made out of that 60/40 % Polyamide-cotton twill ???
You can most often find military field trousers and jackets made out of 50/50 "NyCo" fabric, which is usually sateen instead of twill. Also, CORDURA NyCo is used by various workwear companies.

fenix

Forager
Jul 8, 2008
Kent
I have Rohans and 5.11s in daily rotation. My first couple of pair of 5.11s lasted about 8 years, probably worn 4 days a week at work and weekends. I haven't owned jeans for about 15 years, so its 5.11, Rohans, Craghoppers or have just picked up some winter / waterproof Percussions in case it gets cold.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have rohan trousers, 4 pairs that I wear in rotation every day for the last 10 years, still look like new and the best fit of any trousers I ever had. Plus there warranty is amazing, replace or refund if any material fault, even after 10 years of use.

I have never regretted any Rohan clothing purchase
I have various items of Rohan clothing, some of considerable age, but the trousers tend not to last with me, they tear too easily and fray at the cuffs.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I used to wear moleskins and very durable they were, it was not that they wore out but that I sort of grew too big for them.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Since I started looking for 3/4 length trousers a couple of weeks ago, the amount of high end wool clothing one can see available on eBay from Filson, LLBean etc etc has astonished me. I can see a complete wardrobe shift occurring ... mainly looks like the kind of hunting gear that you wouldn't actually want to sit in a ditch with, preferring something more dispensable. Estate sale pieces, I am guessing

Last edited:

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I have a pair of these : Sarma cargo pants linky , bought from Varusteleka early on in 2017. Considering their price they have been extremely good value. I wore them again while out beating today. Excellent tough material (no impacts from transits through brambles or blackthorn hedges), comfy cut, plenty of pockets, and even Velcro closures which don’t seem to have worn out in any way. They are quite fast drying when out in wet weather. I wear them once or twice a week on average, with long thermal under trousers in winter. I’d say they are worth some consideration.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Two pairs of craghopper kiwis worn turn and turn about lasted four years.
The colour goes on the black ones which is why I stop wearing them and they were everyday wear. Only thing that went is the button.

Had the Regatta version first and they were rubbish. Did not make a year I think.

I am rotating 3 pairs of a Costco cargo trousers in a sort of ripstop which are too long however they work really well. Over three years old and still going. They have a press stud closure at top of fly which sucks.

I am giving up and going to try and make my own because cannot find the features I like in one package. Also fit and pocket placement annoying with shop bought ones.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
I wear the Karrimor Panther trousers daily and have to say they are the most comfortable trousers I've worn they're nice and stretchy but don't snag on things. I get about 4 years out of a pair but given they're £15 I reckon I get my moneys worth, the ones that I do wear through always fail at the crotch so they're relegated to housewear.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I wear the Karrimor Panther trousers daily and have to say they are the most comfortable trousers I've worn they're nice and stretchy but don't snag on things. I get about 4 years out of a pair but given they're £15 I reckon I get my moneys worth, the ones that I do wear through always fail at the crotch so they're relegated to housewear.
Have a look at the Craghoppers Kiwi Classic Trouser (They also do a convertible and winter in the same style). If you shop around you can get them for around £22 and they got more pockets. If they would move the knee pocket up a bit and put one on the other side these would be good enough for me. I have worn one pair of these out and it was due to colour loss. They also do some really similar to the Karrimor under their Noslite range.
As I said I found these at Costco and apart from being like 4 inches to long to start with they really work however I do not like the material that much. It a lot more like ripstop than it looks in the pictures. You cannot tell from the pictures however they have a second pocket on both of the knee pockets so on the right side you can carry your phone and 2 pens. On the left I have my EDC tin and my notepad lives in the zipped pocket behind the knee pocket on that side.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
You can most often find military field trousers and jackets made out of 50/50 "NyCo" fabric, which is usually sateen instead of twill. Also, CORDURA NyCo is used by various workwear companies.
I have some Blaklader work trousers made from that Nyco stuff.
I'm finding that itlasts well but bear in mind this is on building sites and they really get some hammer so its not just wearing at home and general walking about usage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE