How does one get started in leatherwork?

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I'd like to make my own axe masks and such. What tools will I need, what tools would be nice to have, what materials will I need and from where should I purchase them?

Cheers

Bob

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
First, kill and skin a cow.

Now seriously, this link to Tandy Leather will get you started on kits. They also carry advanced supplies if/when you get hooked on it. www.tandyleatherfactory.com
I made my first pair of mocasins from one of their kits way back when I was in the Scouts.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I bought my stuff from Le Prevo (although I was given some bits)

You'll need:

• needles (at least 2 for saddle stitching)
• thread
• beeswax for the thread
• an awl for making holes (or drill)
• a groover - for neat stitching
• a stitch wheel (can use a fork)
• a chamfer tool (optional but gives a better finish)

Sounds like a lot but isn't really. You'll also need knives for cutting etc., glue, clamps

Elen Sentier

First, kill and skin a cow.

Now seriously, this link to Tandy Leather will get you started on kits. They also carry advanced supplies if/when you get hooked on it. www.tandyleatherfactory.com
I made my first pair of mocasins from one of their kits way back when I was in the Scouts.

Ta for link. I burst out laughing when i saw the post :lmao:

And ... bother! you guys have set yet another damn door ajar for me to want to do. Not enough hours in the day !!

Just had a look - good stuff but (fortunately) nice and expensive so I can walk past that door. I may furtle with my knife, see if I get a taste for it ...

Last edited:

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
i now order from leprevo as they have a decent special offer section. but tandy have a load of good instructional videos and kits worth checking out. also try ebay both uk and US. i find it cheaper buying from the US including the postage so worth checking out

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
It's really inexpensive to get started, especially if you can share the cost of a few tools between two or three people.

You'll need the following.

• A spool of thread: Campbell's satin-laid linen thread, for example.
  • Two needles, but these are sold in packs... so buy a pack and share the cost with a friend.
  • A block of beeswax, or a candle (a poor substitute, but it will do).
  • An awl, lozenge profile is best, but round will do. You can make this for yourself from a scrap of steel (even an old nail will do).
  • A sharp knife: a Stanley knife or even an pocket knife will do for your first small projects.
  • Some way of marking the distance between stitch holes: a pricking wheel or some pricking irons would be the best, but a ruler or even a bit of thread with knots at regular intervals will do at a push.
  • A small plank of wood to rest the leather on while you push the awl through it.
  • A thimble, sailor's palm or a pair of pliers to help push the needle through the leather. You shouldn't need this, but at first you might find that you have trouble making the holes the right size, or that they seem to close up before you push the needle through...
For embossing decorative patterns or for making a groove for your stitches to lay below the level of the leather, you can make your own tools from hard, smooth wood (box, hornbeam, holly), antler or bone (save the shin bones when you make stew). You could even have a go at making your own needles from bone, and use sinew for stitching, but I'm sure there are other people here on BCUK who can explain that side of the craft.

Last edited:

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
What size needles and thread do I need for making something like an axe mask?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE