How Do You Take Off Old Firesteel Handles!?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Ok. So I'v been wondering for ages how do you take off the old plastic firesteel handles?

There was an ancient thread on this but the method mentioned didnt work with mine. It said to put the firesteel in a vice upside down and hammer on it lightly. I tried this and it didnt work - probarbly because i have a hole in the top of mine.

Does anyone out there have a clue as to how to get it off?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Best way is....to buy a fireball flint (£5-£6) which ahs no handle. Available from outdoorcode etc., half the price of a large firesteel and just as good. Then bung on the handle of choice! Failing that a hacksaw works!

Red

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Thanks for the help. I managed to get the plastic off with a combination of hacksaw and knife, with minimum chips/dents in the firesteel.

I now plan on making my first modified firesteel.

Sharp.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
sharp88

Its always fun...theres some good inspiration on the "pimp my firesteel" original thread. 6mm brass tube is in B&Q Warehouse stores but tough to find!

Shout if you need help with drill sizes etc (people helped me a lot with my first ones)

Red

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
British Red said:
sharp88

Its always fun...theres some good inspiration on the "pimp my firesteel" original thread. 6mm brass tube is in B&Q Warehouse stores but tough to find!

Shout if you need help with drill sizes etc (people helped me a lot with my first ones)

Red

Forgive my stupidity, but whats the 6mm brass tubing for? To reinforce the 'eye' to put cordage through, etc?

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I just clamped the plastic handle in my vice, took a firm hold of the rod with a pair of molegrips and basically twisted and pulled until the glue broke and it came free.

Must have taken me all of about half a minute to do mine ;)

See....if inteligence doesn't work brute strength just might lol :lmao:

Oh and I used Aruldite to glue my antler tip in with.

Bam. :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep, known as a "lanyard tube". Really sets a nice piece of wood off (dead easy to do as well). Rapid set Araldite is a s food as any other glue (or other fast epoxy)

Red

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Sweet, thanks Red. Im off to B & Q then soon to have a nose around n pester the staff for brass tubing. That is after I'v figured out what material to use, amongst the cornicopia of possible materials........decisions......decisions. I'm gonna have to go through a thaught process of an origional design aswel.....

I dare'nt ask my dad for advice or he'l start off on one of his ash lectures (ash being his do-it-all!)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sharp,

I have some pretty pieces of exoctic hardwoods - shout if you need some. In B&Q there is a strange rack of odd thin tubes, rods etc. They are about a metre tall and stood upright. Don't know what they are for but theres brass and ally tube in there!

Red

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Thanks for the offer. Im still currently thinking on it and having a look around, but I may be interested later on, if so I'l give you a shout.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
British Red said:
Sharp,

I have some pretty pieces of exoctic hardwoods - shout if you need some. In B&Q there is a strange rack of odd thin tubes, rods etc. They are about a metre tall and stood upright. Don't know what they are for but theres brass and ally tube in there!

Red

I've seen model makers hanging around that section. They look a bit like train spotters.

Eric

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
dosnt plastic melt???? i cut down a scout version and then used my blowtorch lighter to melt the handle in to a more usable shape! so hacksaw most of it off then melt the rest!! i dont know but r the rods flamable if u get em hot enough?...interesting project 4 someone????

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
The thought did occur to me to burn it off, but I wasnt sure whether the stick part of the firesteel was combustable or not, or would be damaged in the process, so I just took the good ol' hacksaw to it and then carefully whittles off the remaining plastic. I think what it is, is that initially there is only a bit of glue on the front of the handle connecting the shaft - so get this out of the way and it should slip off. I only found this out after I'd been hacking away at it for 10 mins.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Eric_Methven said:
I've seen model makers hanging around that section. They look a bit like train spotters.

Eric

Don't knock good old B&Q... its my turn :) I was at the new one in Gillingham this morning which is supposed to be the biggest one in the UK. Apart from going through a speed camera at 38 in a 30 limit and SWMBO moaning because I tried a hammock on a stand which broke it was a truly horrible morning.

They have loads of stuff but no choices, you want a toolbox? then yes we have over 200 but only 2 types, small and crap or large and expensive :(

Still there was one good thing, they had a huge cage of slate with a pile of chippings lose on the floor, they let me take the lot for free. They were intrigued when I said I wanted it for arrow heads and the manager started to have second thoughts so I said thanks and legged it.

For some reason SWMBO has promised never to go there with me again, wierd huh? :werd:

Oh yeah brass tube.. if there is a huge interest my son can buy it trade and cut it down to size but he has to buy 5m at a time.. you see he is a proffessional Model Maker.. :lmao:

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Its not my favourite of places and the thing that has annoyed me, my dad and my grandfather is that YOU CAN NEVER FIND ANYTHING WHEN THEY KEEP MOVING STUFF AROUND!!! Its so annoying. The staff tee me off aswel - they have all the carm of a nat and the intelligence of one aswell, but its great when they make a mistake cause you get free merchandise!!!

Gardener & Scardifeld is a great place and Axminster is pretty sweet aswel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE