How do I insert an image in athread???????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
M

marcja

I've tried uploding an image but an error tells me the file is too large, the limit is 39kb, yet my image is about 700 kb. That seems quite small to me, for an image at least.

Am I doing something wrong?

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I have had problems with images being too large myself, I believe there are several ways to shrink them, the easiest way(for me) is to email them to myself (using a different email address) and it gives me the option to shrink the image,then use the image that you receive.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Most of the images that you see in threads are hosted elsewhere. I got some free web space when I got my Virgin 24/7 dial up account, I use a bit of freeware FTP software to drop them there, then link to them. I can understand why there is a size restriction on attachements here, images take up LOADS of room. For a digital photographer 700kb might be a bit small these days, but it isn't all that compact really. I generally reduce pictures that I post to under 100kb, usually a lot less than that, that means that people on dial-up don't have to sit and wait ages for the page to load.

I don't suppose that you have any photo editing software? I have an old version of Corel and can easily resample images, reduce them down to 25% original size, then save them as jpg with 10% compression. That really knocks the size down.

M

marcja

Thaanks for the info guys, as it happens I use Adobe Photoshop CS to edit my website pictures. I'll use that to reduce the image sizes.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I had exactly the same problem until I came accross the following from Roving Rich a couple of weeks ago and it solved it for me

That would be great, to put a photo into your post it need to be posted to a web host - I use photobucket.com others here use Yoxio.
You post your photo to their site (resized to 640 x480 ish) then put a link to it in your post here, using the button at the top of "reply to thread" screen. It looks like a little pic of some mountains, if you hold the mouse over it it says "insert image" you can then give it a name, and cut and paste the URL (web address) of the image in. It should then automatically appear in the thread.
I hope that makes some sense to you ?
Cheers
Rich
Thanks again Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE