How do I hang a hammock in the back garden?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm really unhappy in this sticky heat :sigh:
I know, I know, Summer's beautiful and all I seem to do is moan about midgies and heat :rolleyes:

But I can't sleep, it's just so warm in the house.

What's the best way to hang a hammock in the garden ?
I'd need some kind of frame 'cos the trees along outside the fence would only give one end to tie to.

Would I be better just buying one of those garden hammock frame sets instead ?
and then finding some way to hang a midgie net over the whole thing ?

cheers,
Toddy

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I backed my Land Rover up to the front porch, put a choc under the back wheel and tied between the two. Lovely.

Tobes

Mary, give sentinal fencing a ring and get some 11ft deer strainer posts delivered (£10 delivery), post around £14 each and then dig your hole a min of 3-4ft deep and concrete in...I did these years ago and they are great. A few pals have copied it too...:lmao:
hammock015.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sling your hammock in my garden rather than yours?

Might be a bit of a schlep home if you forget your toothbrush mind you :eek:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice ideas folks :cool: Might have a play with some of those.

Like it Woodsmoke, like it :D I could even disguise those as clothes poles :thinkerg:
I know the cast iron ones I have won't do. Whoever set them in gave them all of four inches of concrete :rolleyes: A pergola is tempting too ......

Wish it would just thunder and break this appalling hot, sticky, still air.

atb,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds ideal, but it's $140 before p&p :eek:

Argos are selling a garden hammock reduced to £40 but it's the old, "How often would I use it ? How and where could I store it ?" problem :sigh:
So tempting though.

That one you linked to looks as though it would come down easily for car camping too :cool:

cheers,
M

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
If you've got two vertical poles then the force you need to brace is the one which will try to pull the poles together. A ridge pole can help with this. Or you can make two tall tripods and brace them with a ridge pole. The ridge pole needs to be straight and long (4m) but not really that strong since wood is strong in compression. You also need to mallet in the tripod feet a bit so they don't slip.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
I meant make one not buy one - in fact im sure theres plans on the web somewhere to make one (not as pretty mind) with a couple of legths of cheap timber and some nails / screws - probs only a couple of hours work if that - i cant find a link to what i mean at the moment so hopefully someone else as seen it and still has the link:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Mary, give sentinal fencing a ring and get some 11ft deer strainer posts delivered (£10 delivery), post around £14 each and then dig your hole a min of 3-4ft deep and concrete in.

Effective, but perhaps a little excessive!
I've got mine hanging off an eyebolt in the garage wall and the other end to an ordinary 6' post just knocked 2' into the ground. Bobajob and no buggering about mixing concrete!

Dont use the fixed washing line poles :eek: , They are nicely spaced, but you could be on the ground pretty soon. I kind of bent one of them in our back garden, its not that bad, the girlfirend didn't notice until i mistakenly pointed it out. :eek:

I know how you feel, its been horrible trying to sleep the past few nights due to the heat, even with the windows open.

Andy

Effective, but perhaps a little excessive!
I've got mine hanging off an eyebolt in the garage wall and the other end to an ordinary 6' post just knocked 2' into the ground. Bobajob and no buggering about mixing concrete!

I'd like to think aesthetically pleasing and strong enough to take three hammocks at once hence the three posts, so not excessive at all, pefect for me as I've no strong walls or tree's and at 18 stone they need to be big :D As for mixing concrete, I used post mix, pour in the hole and add water, jobdone, no mixing at all :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE