How do I get a cork out of a bottle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
It's not as easy as you might think! It is a big 1.5 litre wine bottle that stands about 18-20" tall. The neck is about 6" long and the cork has been pushed inside! I want to use the bottle so don't want to damage it. I thought about burning it but I don't want to blacken the inside of the glass.

Any suggestions? (Preferably not humorous ones but go ahead, I am sure it will happen. I already have a few lined up that I would have fired at someone else)

Chris

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Break up the cork? Probably a long and laborious task :-o

(Might be quicker to smash the bottle, glue it back together and claim that it's 'artistically crazed' ;) )

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
[video=youtube;5Y82j3R7tXw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y82j3R7tXw[/video]

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
perhaps fill it with water, so that the cork floats to the top, use wire to position the cork upright under the neck of the bottle, then freeze? it may be that a long cork-screw can then be inserted into the cork...

Pitkin

Life Member
Jul 26, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Get a length of paracord, fold in half, feed the folded end into the bottle till it touches the bottom, invert the bottle so the cork falls to the neck then gently pull the cord downward so the loop end catches the back of the cork and simply pull the cork out. ��

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Use a length of wire coat hanger and stab the end of the cork so that it is secured on the end of the wire. Pour a can ( or two) of fizzy drink into the bottle then carefully lift the wire so that the cork lodges into the neck of the bottle. Pull out the wire and give the bottle a really good shaking.
Make sure the bottle is facing in a safe direction when you do so and probably best done outside, unless you add some white paint to the mix, in which case you could paint the ceiling at the same time.

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Get a piece of paracord foot or two of paracord.
Remove the inner white strands.
Tie a double knot at one end of the now inner-free paracord.
Feed the knotted end in to the bottle so that the knot jams under the cork at the neck of the bottle.
Wrap paracord a couple of times round fist.
Hold bottle firmly on ground using both feet and free hand.
Pull sharply upwards on the paracord....the cork will come out of the bottle 🖒

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Get a piece of paracord foot or two of paracord.
Remove the inner white strands.
Tie a double knot at one end of the now inner-free paracord.
Feed the knotted end in to the bottle so that the knot jams under the cork at the neck of the bottle.
Wrap paracord a couple of times round fist.
Hold bottle firmly on ground using both feet and free hand.
Pull sharply upwards on the paracord....the cork will come out of the bottle 🖒
Sorry, that should read...get a piece of paracord a foot or two long!

I must remember to check before posting 😯

Thanks,
Allan

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Since you want the bottle intact, use a barbed piece of coat hanger wire to harpoon the cork.
I hope that you can get in there with a hack-saw blade or coping saw blade and cut the cork into pieces.
Pull strokes only, towards the neck. Sure, it will be tedious. Don't think you'll mind when you're done.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
So I didn't have a wire coat hanger so I was going to try the towel or plastic bag. Thought I would go with the plastic bag first as this seemed the least likely to work!

On the first attempt and in 30 seconds....

You only need to blow the tiniest bit of air into the bag as when you pull it out the air moves to the bottom of the bag. I'm not sure if it will work of it was a whole cork though.

Thanks for all the input as usual guys.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE