how come ray is not dead slim

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A

Anonymous

I was wondering why if ray mears spends so much time outdoors eating not much more than he can pick up off the ground and catch in his bear hands then why isnt he a little bit slimmer??? Surely his diet must be much less than us lazy couch potatoes sitting there watching him hike and forage all over the place.....

a concerned bushcraft girlfriend

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
He's not exactly a porker - he's just storing his emergency rations in a place where they can't get lost!

I won't rant about how distorted our perceptions of body-image has become, nor about how much healthier humans are without either extremely low or extremely high levels of body fat. Oops, I ranted :oops:

A

Anonymous

I think Ray must be very like myself in build.

I am exceptionally well toned and actually quite muscular with a very supple looking athletic build.

However I find that most of the shirts and t-shirts and jumpers that I buy come with a small belly shaped lump at the front, just above the belt. When on the hangers, it doesn't show, but as soon as you put one on....there it is.

I am actually at the ideal weight for someone who is 6ft 2in tall.......but I'm only 5ft 9, so, I am working on getting taller rather than losing weight.
:wink:

J

Jamie

I have the same problem Nod! Whenever I ask if my jeans make my bum look big, the other half is always telling me that it isnt the jeans that make it look big, just the 6 burgers I had for lunch! :cry:

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I had a physical exam a few years ago prior to working in America and my friendly doctor glanced at the scales, raised an eyebrow and commented, "You're a little short for your weight."

Oddly enough I had another check-up this week and was told that I appeared to be a full inch taller than the last time, which seems a bit unlikely at my stage in life. Still, perhaps there is hope that one day I'll grow into that perfect weight band. Nice to know I'm not the only one tackling the problem from this direction!

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
And they definitely put something in those wash powder tablets that selectively shrinks the waist of trousers! :shock:

Dave - "I used to have a waist!"

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
bigjackbrass said:
I had a physical exam a few years ago prior to working in America and my friendly doctor glanced at the scales, raised an eyebrow and commented, "You're a little short for your weight."

Hmm, those height-weight norms can be inapplicable for many reasons. I'm 14 stone yet only 5'10" - supposedly way overweight, but my body fat is low.

Or,as SWMBO put it so tactfully, "You don't look as fat as you are" :lol:

Just to get back to the original posting about ray mears not being slim...

I have been on many extensive outdoor-stays (living off the land exclusivly) And, I realised, that eating gathered food, made me gain weight. What happens is that at home, I eat an X-amount of food. When I live in the "wilderness" I will eat the same amount of food. The difference however, is that the food I am eating while living wild, is that much richer, and contains more healthy vitamins, etc... in comparison to commercially grown food. Also, in these moderate parts of the world, the forests, are just stuffed with Wild-Foods. I never went hungry! This theory proved true, when at a certain course I went to in the States, most of the people who I stayed in touch with after the course, had the same experience of gaining weight

However, I did find, that it is possible to minimise this difference, when eating Organic

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Returning to the original question; all I can say is that it is proof of his bush skills that he can maintain his healthy figure when in the wild.

Actually, having seen him in real life (at his Eastbourne lecture last year), it's so nice to see a 'real' person on telly. Makes such a change from weight-obsessed dimwits with nothing useful to say.

Cheers,

Mike

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Well the man obviously likes his food. And if maintaining a supply is what inspired him to start foraging then thank goodness. He's cut a path into the woods which we can all follow, then explore at our leisure.
Thanks Ray
Cheers
Rich

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
Seeing so many Scouting adults over on this side of the Big Pond who are -- how was that? -- ah, storing up calories for the eventuality, one asks: eat so one can go outing OR go outing so one can eat. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE