How can I stop cats doing there business in my garden?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Any pee with male pheromone in should keep cats from feeling comfy enough to poo. So if you're old enough to have dirty thoughts and young enough to have functioning prostrate you can make your own cat deterrent. Spraying the actual cat should permanently keep that cat out of your garden

I use gorse as a leaf mulch where I have bare soil. I did feel a little guilty seeing several feral cats limping, but considering I have seen active tapeworm in their faeces I don't feel too bad about protecting my household. Gorse can also be used as a soft punjab sticks by placing them upright, this doesn't injury the cat.

That top paragraph almost made irn bru come out my nose.

Theres been more than a few nights I've had mates over in the garden and been to inhebriated to get upstairs to the toilet. So theres plenty of male feromones out there, just not in the right place.

If peeing in the garden wasn't bad enough, hitting a cat with my pee would be pretty damn bad, however funny and not to mention difficult. A water baloon filled with my male feromone enriched pee wouldnt be a bad idea though, still kinda gross though.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
get a dog?

I wish. We're trying to sell the house (dumb parents) and Im going off to live by myself (Not anytime soon though if all this keeps up), so getting animals is out of the question, because no one would want a dog but me and theres not many bedsits that allow for pets, let alone, its cruel to keep dogs stuck inside all the time.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think it would be very sensible if people are going to make assertions that something is "illegal" that they state and link to the law that it contravenes. We have had a few cases recently where people have stated or offered opinions on things that were subsequently shown to be fallacies.

For the avoidance of doubt, shooting cats in the UK is legal under certain circumstances. Feral cats are, for example, recognised as one of the few "pest" mammals and can be shot regardless of season etc.

http://www.basc.org.uk/content/shootingseasons

Clearly even when destroying pest creatures all the normal rules of safety, tool selection, appropriate land and skill and above alll legal and humane despatch apply.

As in all shooting, circumstances and reasons for killing are important both ethically and legally - specifically because the WCA makes the reason part of the justification.

There are certain protected species in the UK that may not be killed for any reason, but for the avoidance of doubt, that protection does NOT apply to cats. Feral cats may be shot as pests - current legislation not only does not forbid but specifically permits this. For a government source please see here

http://www.openaccess.gov.uk/lwwcm/...sub+menu2/AdministeringAccess_Guidance_AnnexP

Red

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I think it would be very sensible if people are going to make assertions that something is "illegal" that they state and link to the law that it contravenes. We have had a few cases recently where people have stated or offered opinions on things that were subsequently shown to be fallacies.

For the avoidance of doubt, shooting cats in the UK is legal under certain circumstances. Feral cats are, for example, recognised as one of the few "pest" mammals and can be shot regardless of season etc.

http://www.basc.org.uk/content/shootingseasons

Clearly even when destroying pest creatures all the normal rules of safety, tool selection, appropriate land and skill and above alll legal and humane despatch apply.

As in all shooting, circumstances and reasons for killing are important both ethically and legally - specifically because the WCA makes the reason part of the justification.

There are certain protected species in the UK that may not be killed for any reason, but for the avoidance of doubt, that protection does NOT apply to cats. Feral cats may be shot as pests - current legislation not only does not forbid but specifically permits this. For a government source please see here

http://www.openaccess.gov.uk/lwwcm/...sub+menu2/AdministeringAccess_Guidance_AnnexP

Red

Thanks for clearing that up Red i pm ed two mods and told them the same that it is not illegal.

Bernie

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Just so no one is in any doubt, whilst it is in certain narrow circumstances legal to kill feral cats; it is not legal to kill, injure or trap domestic cats. Under The Protection of Animals Act 1911 Protection of Animals (Scotland) Act 1912 and the Welfare of Animals (Northern Ireland) Act 1972 and yes they are still in force, supplemented by other more recent acts of parliament, such as the Animal Welfare act 2006 it is a criminal offence to cause cruelty to or kill a domestic cat.
This fact is supported by the RSPB web site, which states “Domestic cats are protected by law and it is an offence to trap, injure or kill them.”

The Theft act of 1968 (PACE still relies on the definition of property as described in this act) consider cats as property and therefore you would be guilty of an offence if you damage, injure, maim or destroy,
Add to that the Criminal Damage Act 1971

Destroying or damaging property

(1) A person who without lawful excuse destroys or damages any property belonging to another intending to destroy or damage any such property (In this case a cat) or being reckless as to whether any such property would be destroyed or damaged shall be guilty of an offence.

The law is not as cut and dried as some may think, but it is worth knowing what you are letting yourself in for when you take it into your own hands.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just so no one is in any doubt, whilst it is in certain narrow circumstances legal to kill feral cats; it is not legal to kill, injure or trap domestic cats. Under The Protection of Animals Act 1911 Protection of Animals (Scotland) Act 1912 and the Welfare of Animals (Northern Ireland) Act 1972 and yes they are still in force, supplemented by other more recent acts of parliament, such as the Animal Welfare act 2006 it is a criminal offence to cause cruelty to or kill a domestic cat.
This fact is supported by the RSPB web site, which states “Domestic cats are protected by law and it is an offence to trap, injure or kill them.”

The Theft act of 1968 (PACE still relies on the definition of property as described in this act) consider cats as property and therefore you would be guilty of an offence if you damage, injure, maim or destroy,
Add to that the Criminal Damage Act 1971

Destroying or damaging property

(1) A person who without lawful excuse destroys or damages any property belonging to another intending to destroy or damage any such property (In this case a cat) or being reckless as to whether any such property would be destroyed or damaged shall be guilty of an offence.

The law is not as cut and dried as some may think, but it is worth knowing what you are letting yourself in for when you take it into your own hands.

Good advice there Tadpole - hence why I highlighted the feral cat problem.

I'm not sure its even as cut and dried as you say though - I believe, for example that trapping in the form of humane trapping is practiced (live trap if you will) - often for animal welfare reasons in areas where the cat is at risk, and of course for humane reasons domestic animals can be despatched when injured or in pain (by suitably qualified and equipped people) examples being after a road accident or at the discretion of a vet in the absence of the owner.

As in all things I agree people should be extremely careful to understand and study the law in all their areas of interest. I would love to say that people who maintain that something is "legal" should cite the law but of course the law does not work that way. Things are legal until made illegal by a certain law.

I do think its sensible therefore to engage in a debate with sources of the relavent legislation and the circumstances it covers when asserting that things are legal or otherwise. Cats are a particular problem in that, in the UK, they are covered by all three aspects of the law - pests, domestic property and protected species (in the case of Wild Cats). The jusdgement as to whether a cat seen causing oa problem to livestock on a farm as to whether an animal is a feral, a domestic tabby or a Wild Cat will always be tricky to make and personally, I would always err on the side of caution

Red

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Newsflash: I've found a new animalia problem now. I spotted a rat go under the shed earlier, when scratching around there. cat or rat :togo:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now thats an easier problem in terms of how / whether to solve - just a choice of the safest and most efficacious despatch method. Since living on a farm that is grain based but also raises birds, managing rats is a constant problem. If you need advioce on methods just say the word.

Red

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Arrrrrrrrrr! Avast there, ye cat haters!

There be an easy way to stop cats doin' their business in yer garrrrrden!

Get the local trading standards authority to take out an injunction against them furry blighters.

Arrrr-arrrr-arrrr!

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
A neighbor of mine has added some electrical fence over the top of the wooden fence to keep the cats away from his birds. It works great, no cat will ever try to get into his garden a second time....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE