How Big a Bergen?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I'm in the market for a bigger pack.

Question is how big should I go?

Now that my eldest is getting erm older I can think about getting out on multi-day trips again. He's still a bit young for carrying gear though, don't want to give him a hernia! So it's down to me to carry the extra.

His Mum insists on a tent when he joins me in case the boogey man comes to visit us in the night. Apparently the boogey man is not afraid of axe-wielding, knife-carrying fathers but does have a phobia of tent zips!:rolleyes:

So I've got my two-man tent sorted and at the moment I can fit it in (or strap it to) my 35 litre rucksack with the rest of my kit. This unfortunately leaves no room for food or spare clothes. How many more litres of space would you allow for this?

Im thinking 20 litres which would mean this would be good:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220394846339

Or should I be going bigger? The next step would be a Highlander forces 66. Then the Karrimor Sabre range (have to be 2nd hand). I think something like the Berghaus Vulcan giant that a lot of people go for would remain half empty as circumstances don't allow week long trips at this time.

What do you think?

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Go for the biggest you feel comfortable with,but remember YOU DON'T HAVE TO FILL IT.
I find it's better to have all my kit packed nicely in a pack bigger than I need ,rather than cram it all in a smaller pack.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
Always get the biggest backpack available. Than you can leave the sleepingmat at home.

Just sleep on your backpack, great insulation.

but then what do u put all your other gear in? surely you dont want to lay on waterbottles, stoves or your food and wouldnt the frame dig in? also your legs would get cold. i used to use half a foam role mat and trust me it isnt the same, its ok untill it rains and the ground is wet, then your legs freeze:eek:

pete

stevee

Apr 24, 2009
Kent
This is exactly what I'll be doing this summer for a couple of nights with my eldest son, especially with the tent bit! I don't have the tent yet but I do have my 100 litre rucksack ready, this'll be for clothes/mats/sleeping bags/tent, and my 30 litre Sabre will be for my kit, food, and water.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Thanks for your opinions everyone, very helpful.

The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to go with a large pack like a vulcan. Food and water for two (maybe one and a half) as well as an extra sleeping bag might well necessitate a monster bag.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I'll post up what I end up with.:You_Rock_

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
when i started with my dad as a young kid, i had a 30-35 litre karrimore for bulky but light items (water proofs, fleeces etc) - and i think his was (and still is) 80L. Had a pretty small tent though, not sure the model but i know it was hella-expensive, so that saved on size a fair bit.

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
but then what do u put all your other gear in? surely you dont want to lay on waterbottles, stoves or your food and wouldnt the frame dig in? also your legs would get cold. i used to use half a foam role mat and trust me it isnt the same, its ok untill it rains and the ground is wet, then your legs freeze:eek:

pete
indeed, I didn't took myself serious when I posted that message :rolleyes:

stevee

Apr 24, 2009
Kent
Of course 'it's a given' that your son will be carrying the 100 litre and you the 30!
;^)

Jim

Of course, best way to build the chap up!

Prawnster if I was in your position I would definately buy the Karrimor Sabre 60-100, this should meet all your camping needs.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I just received a surplus Berghaus Vulcan from Endicotts.

Absolutely chuffed with it. It's not as gargantuan as I feared but in any case I can take the side pouches off when I don't need them.

Kevin Endicott gave me a great price for it and it is in really good condition, years of life left in it. He also gave me a discount when I said I'd heard about his place through this forum.

Thanks for helping me make the decision, it looks like a good'un.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE