How best to use Clamatis for fires?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
It's that time of the year again. Winter looms and firelighting skills are called into question as conditions worsen.

Nature however ostensibly seems to offer a helping hand by providing an age old firemakers' friend - Clamatis. The downy tufts of Clamatis are abundant at this time of year and yet nothing I can do seems to work to get them alight!

Any discussion on how best to light this stuff will be most welcome, especially surrounding how best to prepare the tinder for use with a firestick/flint & steel.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hi Richard, welcome to BCUK.
I would have thought that the downy fluff should light from a fireflash/ferocium rod etc unless there is a moisture issue. Try putting a handfull in the airing cupboard overnight to see if it improves.
The loose bark should also be pretty good at taking a spark provided it is dry enough - though you really have to search the whole plant to find dry bits in weather like this. Maybe its time to try the buffed bark in conjunction with a friction ember.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Thanks Ogri, I had the Clamatis close to my body for a couple of hours and it felt dry enough but by virtue of the fact is smoked a lot and oh so nearly caught I would guess you're right - too much residual moisture. All the bark was sodden but hopefully this will be perfect in a month or so ...it needs to be since I am trying to progress beyond taking prepared tinder into the field and hoping to make the most of what i come accross on the trail!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Richardpotts said:
I am trying to progress beyond taking prepared tinder into the field and hoping to make the most of what i come accross on the trail!

Excellent news - what every Bushy should be striving for.

Good Luck

Ogri the trog

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I've found that the bark takes a good 5 to 10 minutes buffing to make useable... and I'm sure that it's better a bit later in the winter.

Bhold

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2005
Lancaster
I've used clematis as a base board for a hand drill once, but it was a piece given to me.
Problem is, I cannot identify the plant, wouldn't recognize it, cannot find more by myself.

Can you teach me how to identify clamatis?

ATB
Luciano

Clematis (spelt it wrong last time - or at least there seems to be 2 common spellings of it) is an evergreen climber which tends to cover wild hedgerows and canopies of trees. At this time of year it's noticeable from a distance by the numerous tufts of downy seeds that look like fine sheep wool. When you're walking in the woods you might come accross the stems which look imressively like something Tarzan would be seen swinging on - vine like and hanging from the canopy.

I've borrowed some pics off google and posted them on an online briefcase - http://picasaweb.google.com/rgpotts/Clamatis

Hope that helps, and if you find some and get it lit let me know your secret!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
My flora identification is none existant (but trying ;)) but this sounded like a usefull plant.
I was about to ask what they looked like until a picture here was posted and it turns out that its exactly what the bloody big thing is growing up the front of my house :rolleyes:

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
I've used Clematis down in the past to make fire with my fire steal, the trick is getting a big enough pile of it :D . Alas it hardly grows round here, we used to have some growing in the garden and gardens are pretty well the only place you get it. Its a shame :( , it is a lovely plant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE