Hot Water Heater

D

dboles

Somewhere inside a hotwater heater is supposed to be an iron rod that is the same material used for firesteels.I have access to a few busted ones that Im welcome to cannibalize for the rods-But do not exactly know where to find the rod.Anybody on these forums know the location of the ferro rod Im looking for? I have posted this on a couple forums to help in the search

Thanks
Dan'l

Last edited by a moderator:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
First time I've heard of this Dan,
I know that some systems contain sacrificial anodes of zinc (IIRC) but they are normally only used in areas of high water acidity to combat the effects of corrosion.
If you've every seen a firesteel that has been left in a damp place, I think you might see that they are not the material to be put anywhere wet.

But hey, if you find something contrary, let us know. I do like using the copper jackets for projects though.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
The only type of immersion type heater I have heard of is the insulated sheathed type which are either incoloy,Stainless or mild steel containing an element and magnesium oxide.

D

dboles

What i had heard was wrong.Seems the sacrificial rods are Magnesium .I have access to a few and will see what amount I can get.Good for shaving for starting fires not the ferro rod that I had heard was in there.Oh well would have been a nice find
Dan'l

Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE