Hot Rock cooked beef

I `ve tried this a couple of times this year, it works a treat. a joint of beef to feed about 30 people, topside is good. cut through (not all the way)and lay in bay leaves and put back together & pin or stitch.
using slate slabs as the rocks i heated them for a couple of hours in a big fire of oak logs, laying out 2 rocks flat and layings others flat on top of these like a low table the beef is layed on, then more rocks round & over the beef. embers pushed under the table & changed regularly, change the side & top rocks half way through cooking with fresh hot rocks and flip the beef over to.
While the beef is cooking, sort some spuds for jackets, grate some strong cheddar, and heat a large pan of baked beans over the fire. the beef will take about 2/3hrs (easy to check when changing top rocks)
warm a big pan filled with mulled wine.

recommend welders gloves the rock handling

once all is ready, get the beef, spuds,cheese,beans & wine on to serving table.
clear the rocks from the fire, build up the fire, grab a chair, serve yourself with all of the above and sit round the fire to enjoy a nice meal with friends

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
This sounds amazing. One question though:

I was always told to keep striped/ sedimentary rock away from fire because of the risk of explosion. does this not count with slate?

This sounds amazing. One question though:

I was always told to keep striped/ sedimentary rock away from fire because of the risk of explosion. does this not count with slate?

i`ve been using slate around fires for many years, the worst i`ve seen is the heat split a few rocks down the vains, never had a piece go bang or even spit. the slate used is waste quarried stuff and it works a treat. hope that answers your question

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE