Horse-Flies

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The Horse-Fly, nasty things, happily I've not been bitten by one for a few years now, however one had a chew on my Barmah hat recently and I thought I'd share the image...

horse_fly.jpg

From Wikipedia:

The bite from a larger specimen is extremely painful, especially considering the light, agile, and airborne nature of the fly. Unlike insects which surreptitiously puncture the skin with needle-like organs, horse flies have mandibles like tiny serrated scimitars, which they use to rip and/or slice flesh apart. This causes the blood to seep out as the horsefly licks it up. They may even carve a chunk completely out of the victim, to be digested at leisure.

The horsefly's modus operandi is less secretive than that of its mosquito counterparts, although it still aims to escape before pain signals reach their mark's sphere of awareness. Moreover, the pain of a horsefly bite may mean that the victim is more concerned with assessing and repairing the wound, than finding and swatting the interloper.​

:eek:

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
That could of been a bloody painful one for sure!

Dammit - that would call for a DEET massacre.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I got bitten by a horse fly on the ankle when i was about 10yrs old, and to say it was painfull would be a understatement, i had a swelling where id been bitten about the size of a apple,hope i never get bitten again, On holiday in Greece a few years ago i had a few occasions where they tried to land on me and even following me as i tried to get away from the damn things, i do react badly to insect bites but thats another story.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Clegs, :( I detest clegs :sigh:

There's a place for every creature we're told. Do you think if we exterminated them anything would mind ?

Impressive photo Sandbender :)

Toddy

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
The swallow's might I think they're quite partial to them. There's probably a few other species to that feast on those horrible little beggars.

Me though I don't think I'd mind

Clegs, :( I detest clegs :sigh:

There's a place for every creature we're told. Do you think if we exterminated them anything would mind ?

Impressive photo Sandbender :)

Toddy

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
I had several bites on the face and hands on my very first camping trip away from the back garden about 45 years ago! One of my eye's closed right up and the back of my hand swelled so much I couldn't bend my fingers for days!

My daughter was bitten on the neck and had a swelling for several months. She had to have a minor operation under a local to remove it!

Nasty barstewards!

Gareth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE