Horehound fans?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Does anyone else here grow or use horehound (Marrubium vulgare)? I find it a fascinating herb (its the taste in old fashioned cough candy for those who don't know - it also used to be the "bittering" agent in beer before hops - much easier to grow on a domestic scale than hops).

I'm toying with propagating some...but am unsure if there's any interest beyond weird folk like me?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a great cough soother, an nice bittering flavour and also an expectorant. A cup of the tea made from it really does ease a tickly or chesty cough!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Horehound sweeties used to be a favourite of mine and as you say good for the old chesty cough. I've heard of folk making a syrup out of it too but never seen it (Hang on off for a look).
Yup knew I'd seen one somewhere if my favourites list. Have a wee look on this page (there's other things that'll pique your interest too no doubt.) LINK.

Would be good to see how you get on though.

GB.

Have I got some sort of weird reputation 'round here?:confused:
nope just in case it's a sweetie store....

Hardy perennial Sam - member of the mint family so can be invasive if left unchecked. I grow in woodchip mulch to prevent excessive running and self seeding.
One for a herb pot then.
Id be interested in some I reckon if you have surplus?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Righto Ian.

I'll give it a spin in a couple of weeks when the flowers are fully dried....gonna be a tricky winnow this one!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like it :) probably easier to propagate by root cuttings. It really does grow like mint, so in a pot and it'll happily take off :)

I like the syrup but it's hard to keep the taste right in sweeties; it seems like most of the commercially made ones are adulterated with spices, etc., or artificial flavours.

Someone gave me horehound and nettle beer once......let's just say that I was grateful for the Andrex :eek: :eek:

atb,
Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE