Hoodoo Hone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Good evening,

I know this information i wanted is dotted about the forum, but i thought it might be a good idea for people to learn how to make the Hoodoo hone completely from this thread. But here comes the problem, i dont know how to! Can someone guide me 'cos i think i have given in to the northstar.

Thanks,

Jake

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Take a block of timber, glue some closed cell foam onto that (old sleeping mats, mousemats etc) and the put two slits into the side of the timber slanting upwards so that some cut pieces of Wet N Dry paper can be inserted.

I use grits 400, 600, 800 and 1200. You can get these from www.axminster.co.uk or Halfords.

I cut off the end of a kebab stick to secure the paper into the slits in the timber. I know some people have used guitar plectrums in the past. What ever's around eh.

If you search Hoodoo Hone or 'convex' you should come up with a thread where Hoodoo has posted some pictures in.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
ok i might be being compleatly stupid here.. but could someone clue me in?

does it go sandpaper, wood block, mouse matt
or is it
sandpaper, mouse matt, woodblock??

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
ok thats what i thought then i had a thought that maybe the mouse mat was to stop it slipping on what ever surface it is on. just thought i would check before i stuck it down..

Thanks very much for your help

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Martyn said:
Or...just go to B&Q and get yourself a sanding block and glue a mousepad onto the bottom of it. ;)

what buy something when you can make it.

My easy method

step one: get a lump of very rough wood with loads of splinters
step two: set fire to it and whilst hot brush off with stiff brush
step three: glue bit of packaging stuff (like laminate floor underlay) from something off ebay to one side
step four:tear wet and dry to the right shape an hold on with drawing pins

since the pins go into the end of the grain it seems to last quite a while

if you have 120grit that should fix dents ok, seemed to with the axe I found

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Wow, cheers guys didnt expect that many responses! I think i prefer getting a sanding block from b&q seems easier :wink:.

In fact i feel a bit foolish now, there was already a whole thread devoted to it :oops:.

Thanks all.

Jake

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
nope, the wood block is better, make it as longas you can and still get the wet'n'dry on it and tucked in at the ends.

drawing pins are good, but the slot and wedge is much quicker to change grits with.

if you want to get creative, put mousmat on two sides, hard side up for knives, soft side up for axes. or just have two different grits handy. then of course you have a scrap of an old belt glued on a third side for use with magic paste! :eek:):

when i make my delux version it'll have crocksticks mounted on the fourth side! :roll:

cheers, and.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
For info - O2 the mobile phone people are promoting a new online service. Many of the high street mobile phone retailers are giving away promotional mousemats to advertise the service - nifty blue color with "wwwelcome" written on it. Just the thing for making Hoodoo hones ! :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE